Heavy snowfall warning for northern Alberta
Albertans are advised to use extra caution on Alberta highways.
Areas of central and northern Alberta are under a heavy snowfall warning. Accumulations between 10 and 15 centimetres are expected in the Edmonton region and as much as 20 centimetres north and west of Edmonton by Friday afternoon. Snow is also forecast from Slave Lake east to the Saskatchewan border.
Drivers are advised to prepare for winter conditions and adjust driving habits accordingly.
- Know before you go – check 511 Alberta for the latest real time road conditions.
- Drivers should consider postponing non-essential travel.
- Posted speed limits are the maximum intended for ideal summer conditions. Drivers are reminded to slow down and drive for winter conditions.
- Snow can accumulate quickly and visibility will be reduced.
- Drivers are encouraged to have winter or all-season tires on their vehicles.
- Drivers are reminded to activate headlights so that tail lights are visible to other drivers following behind.
- All vehicles should have a winter emergency kit during the winter months.
- Please give snowplows room to work – stay back at least ten metres to prevent collisions.