Upgrades at Canmore Hospital improve patient care
Upgrades totalling $1.8 million are underway at the Canmore General Hospital, benefiting both patients and staff.
Improvements to the Canmore hospital include:
- renovations to acute-care nurse stations and medication rooms
- modernized admissions desk and lobby
- additional patient washrooms
- resurfacing the parking lot
- upgrades to the elevator
- replacement of the emergency generator
A new admitting desk has recently been completed and provides better patient flow and increased privacy. Renovations to the lobby have modernized the look of the entrance and give maintenance staff better access to mechanical and electrical systems.
“Every patient coming in to the hospital will experience the benefits of these improvements. Staff will be able to interact and support patients and their families in the best way possible. Maintenance projects not only help to create safe, quality health care environments, they also help to create and sustain jobs for Albertans. Projects like this make life better for patients, families and the community.”
The nursing station and medication room in the acute-care ward are being moved to allow for easier interaction between staff and patients.
"These changes are important in helping frontline staff to continue delivering the best possible care for patients here at the Canmore Hospital. As a nurse, I know how important it is to provide a comfortable, supportive environment for patients. I'm proud to be part of a government that’s investing in rural health facilities."
"Ready access to a modern and comprehensive health care facility such as the Canmore General Hospital is critical to the livability of smaller communities like Canmore. I applaud the government of Alberta for recognizing the importance of investing in the continued health of our residents."
The Infrastructure Maintenance Program (IMP) undertakes projects intended to protect the integrity of health facilities across the province through repairs and upgrades. Money from the program is provided to Alberta Health Services (AHS) to address maintenance and repair needs.
“AHS is grateful for the IMP funding we receive to update and maintain our facilities. These projects directly impact our patients, staff and visitors and are important for improving patient care.”
The renovations at the Canmore General Hospital are now underway and scheduled to be complete in 2017 and 2018.
- Budget 2017 allocates $143.5 million on maintenance and renovation of health care facilities across Alberta in the coming year and $600 million over the next four years.
- The construction projects included in the province's Capital Plan will help create 11,000 new jobs over the next four years.
- AHS has about 600 infrastructure maintenance projects underway throughout the province.
- Almost 415 of those IMP projects are at health facilities in rural areas.
- In the last couple of years, $540,000 in other IMP projects have been completed at the Canmore General Hospital including:
- installation of a new fire alarm system
- repairs to kitchen floors