This release was issued under a previous government.

This program gives Albertans who choose to move out of the floodway areas the option to sell their property to the Government of Alberta.

Homeowners who take part will receive 100 per cent of their 2013 municipal property tax assessed value. This compensation is only available for those living in a floodway in southern Alberta and is processed through the Disaster Recovery Program.


Southern Albertans with property in designated floodways in the following areas:

  • Calgary
  • High River
  • MD of Foothills
  • Turner Valley
  • County of Red Deer
  • Rocky View County
  • Mountain View County
  • Medicine Hat *
  • Okotoks *

How to apply

  • To receive compensation, apply to the Disaster Recovery Program and indicate you live in a floodway.
  • If you have already applied for the Disaster Recovery Program but did not indicate your interest in relocation compensation, phone 1-888-671-1111, provide your file number from your original application and your application will be updated.
  • Submitting an application does not obligate you to sell your home. A formal agreement to sell will be required.

* Correction: Medicine Hat and Okotoks added to the list of eligible communities on July 22, 2014