• Motor vehicles and trailers travelling on Alberta roadways must be registered.
  • Registration certificates cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 18 years, unless the application for registration is also signed by a parent or guardian. A parent or guardian has the right to withdraw consent in writing during this time. If consent is withdrawn, the licence plate and vehicle registration will be suspended. The signature of your parent or guardian is not required if you can prove you are married or self-supporting.
  • In Alberta, licence plates remain with the owner of the vehicle and are not transferable to another person.
  • A vehicle owner must register his or her vehicle within three months of moving to Alberta.

Insurance requirements

  • All motor vehicles must be insured with a public liability insurance policy as outlined in the Alberta Insurance Act.
  • It is illegal to operate an uninsured motor vehicle.
  • Your insurance company issues a financial responsibility card (pink card) which must be presented when registering a vehicle and when requested by a peace officer.