French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.
La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.
Schools have implemented strategies and approaches aimed at transforming the high school experience for students and teachers through changes to one or more of these areas:
- school structure
- school culture
- school pedagogy
- school leadership
- Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia
- Highly Adaptive Learning Systems: Research in Seven Redesigned High Schools in Alberta Final Report (PDF, 778 KB)
School structure includes organizational structures that allow learning to occur under a variety of circumstances and conditions including: flexible schedules, year-round calendars, modified timetables.
- The Third Teacher
- Personalization in Schools
- A Subtractive Education
- The History of the Student Credit Hour
- High School at a Crossroads
- Coalition of Essential Schools
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Students at the Center
School culture is made up of the values, beliefs and shared meaning of all stakeholders. Elements include:
- student voice;
- engagement; and
- caring, respectful learning environments.
- High School Flexibility Enhancement Pilot Project Literature Review (PDF, 3.41 MB)
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit High School Graduation Coach Program (PDF, 1.83 MB)
- The Shape of Things to Come (1.9 MB)
- When the Culture Changes
- Competency Works
- The Perennial Reform
- Engagement and Student Voice
- Evolution or Revolution?
- Curricular Opportunities
- The Right to Learn
- School Connectedness
- WDYDIST Research Series
- Mindset and Success
- Mental Health
School leadership has a key role in improving classroom practice, informing school policies and making connections beyond the walls of the school building. Successful rethinking of high schools requires leadership at all levels to lead change.
- Effective Practices (PDF, 126 B)
- Leading by Learning (PDF, 263 KB)
- Your Keys to Success (PDF, 8.5 MB)
- The Effective Principal (PDF, 184 KB)
- Improved Student Learning (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- C21 Canada
- Ontario Secretariat
- Assessing Learning
- Their Own Design
School pedagogy is the art and science of teaching and refers to the styles and methods of instruction used in the teaching profession, including grading practices, assessment, and instructional strategies.
- Learning Environments (PDF, 468 KB)
- Personalized Learning Chart (PDF, 129 KB)
- Stages of Personalization (PDF, 80 KB)
- Teacher Effectiveness Framework (PDF, 302 KB)
- WDYDIST: Student Engagement (PDF, 437 KB)
- Changing the Odds (PDF, 14.4 MB)
- The Great Promise
- Assessing Learning
- Teachers at Work