Before you apply

If the Operator continues to miss payments for a site after the Tribunal has directed payment on a first-year application, you may apply again for each year of unpaid rentals.

After the first year, you can use our streamlined process if you meet all these requirements:

  • You have previously applied to the Tribunal to recover unpaid rentals and have been paid by the Minister.
  • This previous payment was paid to the same persons as your current application. You might also be able to use this streamlined process if a joint landowner has been removed from the land title but the remaining applicants are the same.
  • The payment was for the same site.
  • The site is still covered by the same surface lease agreement or Board Order.

If you do not meet these requirements, follow the instructions on how to apply for surface rights recovery of compensation.

How to apply

If you meet all the requirements above, you can begin filling out the application form.

Returning recovery of compensation form

Download the Recovery of Compensation – Returning Application (PDF, 3.0 MB) to begin the returning recovery of compensation process.

PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

After you apply

On receiving the required documentation, the application will go before a panel of the Tribunal for review. If the panel approves the application, it will direct the Minister to pay you out of the Government of Alberta’s General Revenue Fund.

Usually, the Tribunal directs the Minister to pay the full amount owing, but it has authority to direct the Minister to pay a lower amount.

The amount paid by the Minister and any expenses incurred in collecting the debt becomes a debt owed by the operator to the Crown in accordance with section 36(9)(a) of the Act.

An operator wanting to repay this debt should contact Crown Debt Collections at 780-644-1704.


Download the Request to Amend – Recovery of compensation application (PDF, 182 KB) form to begin the amendment process.

Form help

  • If there have been any amendments made to the surface lease agreement since your last application for recovery of compensation, include a copy of those amendments.
  • If there is any correspondence with the operator, include a copy of this correspondence. If you have any new cheque stubs from the operator for this site, include a copy of these.
  • In addition to the application form, you may also provide the Tribunal with submissions (written arguments) to explain unusual circumstances to the panel.
  • To avoid unnecessary delay, it is important that you complete your application fully and correctly. If there are mistakes in your application, it may be returned to you.


Connect with the Land and Property Rights Tribunal:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed noon to 1 pm, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-2444
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-427-5798
Email: [email protected]

Land and Property Rights Tribunal
2nd Floor, Summerside Business Centre
1229 91 Street SW
Edmonton, Alberta  T6X 1E9

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on