Before starting operations, railways must receive an operating certificate from the Railway Administrator.
Read Online Application for Railway Operating Approval (PDF, 534 KB) to get the application process started.
There are no fees associated with applying for and receiving your operating certificate.
Your certificate is valid for up to 3 years.
Operating approval circulars
Circulars provide guidance on transferring, storage and security management for dangerous goods.
- Circular 1 – Transfer of dangerous goods to or from a railway vehicle
- Circular 2 – Development of security management program for dangerous goods transfer sites
- Circular 3 – Long term storage of last contained dangerous goods tank cars
- Operates wholly or in part outside the confines of a historical or similar park or site. It is operated for the sole purpose of providing rides to individuals and does not operate for the purpose of transporting goods or commodities for a toll, fee or as a common carrier.
- Transports only goods or commodities that are manufactured, refined or otherwise produced, processed or handled by the person who operates the railway or on whose behalf the railway is operated.
- Operates wholly or in part within the confines of the industrial site, where goods or commodities are manufactured, refined or otherwise produced, processed or handled. It does not operate for the purpose of transporting goods or commodities for a toll, fee or as a common carrier.
- Operates for the purpose of transporting individuals, goods and commodities for a toll or fee.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.