Temporary trail closures
City of Calgary – Griffith Woods Park – bear closure
Effective Date: October 24, 2019 until further notice.
Where: Griffith Woods Park in southwest Calgary; includes park area and all trails and pathways within.
Why: Grizzly bear in area.
- City of Calgary Public Notice: Griffith Woods Park Full Park Closure (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Map: Temporary Area Closure – Griffith Woods Park – Southwest Calgary (PDF, 738 KB)
Highline Trail and surrounding area – bear warning
Effective Date: August 2, 2019 until further notice.
Where: Highline Trail, Riders of Rohan, East and West Connector Trails, and all access trails between Three Sisters Blvd and Peaks Drive and all land south and west of Three Sisters Parkway, including land within the Town of Canmore.
Why: Bears feeding on berries.
Although a warning is in place for this area, bears can be encountered anywhere in the Kananaskis Region at any time. To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray.
Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
Please report all bear sightings immediately to 403-591-7755.
- Map: Bear Warning – Highline Trail & Surrounding Area (PDF, 6.5 MB)
Permanent trail closures
McLean Creek Off-Highway Vehicle Public Land Use Zone (Silvester Creek Trail)
Effective October 26, 2018, a Permanent Trail Closure has been issued in the McLean Creek Public Land Use Zone (PLUZ) for the Silvester Creek Trail due to a trail reclamation project.
Pursuant to Section 184 (1) of the Public Lands Administration Regulation AR 187/2011, public access to the Silvester Creek Trail is forbidden. For additional details, see the attached Public Advisory and map.
- Closure notice: Silvester Creek Trail (PDF, 38 KB)
- Map: Permanent Trail Closure – Silvester Creek Trail (PDF, 726 KB)
For trail and area closures in the Bighorn Backcountry, see:
Connect with the South Saskatchewan Region Office in Calgary for more information:
After hours, contact Report a Poacher: