Public Lands Camping Pass required

A Public Lands Camping Pass is required to random camp on public land along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains. For more information, visit:

Bighorn Backcountry information

Visit Bighorn Backcountry for area closures, trail updates and maps pertaining to the six public land use zones that make up the Bighorn Backcountry.

Crown land closures

Vacant Crown land - Southwest Section 29 - Township 65 - Range 2- W4M (Former Shelter Bay site)

Temporary area closure due to reclamation work.

Effective Immediately: July 15, 2021

For more information, contact Report a Poacher at 1-800-642-3800.

Pursuant to Sections 45 and 48 of the Public Lands Administration Regulation, access is forbidden to the following:

Temporary public land recreation area closures

Waskahigan Public Land Recreation Area access and trail

Effective September 17, 2020 until further notice there is a temporary closure of the Waskahigan public land recreation area access and trail located off Highway 63 near the House River (15-34-77-15-W4M) due to facilities repair and materials disposal.

Map – Temporary Area Closure: Waskahigan Recreation Area Access and Trail (PDF, 5.6 MB)


Connect with the South Saskatchewan Region Office in Calgary for more information:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Outside Alberta phone: 780-944-0313
Toll free: 1-877-944-0313
Email: [email protected]

After hours, contact Report a Poacher:

Phone: 1-800-642-3800

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.