Public Agency Opportunity
Detailed information about a specific opportunity.
Alberta Sport Connection
It is recognized in Alberta as a fundamental principle and as a matter of public policy that all persons are equal. Diversity and inclusion are valued and supported on the boards of Alberta's public agencies
The Minister of Culture and Tourism is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as a Chair of the Alberta Sport Connection (ASC).
The Alberta Sport Connection’s mandate is to develop and maintain sport programs, facilities and services; and to raise funds to be used in assisting the corporation in the carrying out of its objects.
The Alberta Sport Connection is dedicated to promoting athletic excellence and multi-sport events including: Alberta Games, Alberta 55 Plus Games, Western Canada Summer Games, and the Arctic Winter Games. The ASC also co-ordinates Team Alberta's participation in Canada Games and helps organizations to host local, provincial, national and international sport events. Working with Alberta's Provincial Sport Organizations, community groups and regional partners, the ASC encourages active lifestyles and life-long involvement in sport.
The Chair represents the Board and its interests in dealing with the Minister, the department, stakeholders and the community. The Chair is responsible for:
- Providing leadership to the Corporation Board.
- Facilitating the work of the Corporation to achieve its mandate.
- Participating in Board recruitment requirements.
- Acting as the spokesperson for the Board for matters specific to the Corporation.
- Planning and managing Board meetings and ensuring that the Corporation and its committees have opportunities to meet independent of management.
- Meeting with the Minister on a quarterly basis or as required to address emerging issues and priorities.
- Ensuring that the Corporation conducts an annual evaluation of its performance and the work of individual Corporation Directors.
- Ensuring that all Directors have completed appropriate governance training.
- Administering and ensuring that the Corporation activities align with its mandate and bylaws.
- Ensuring the Corporation complies with government financial, human resource, administrative and internal control policies.
- Ensuring that:
- A Code of Conduct is in place;
- Board members are aware of their obligations in the Code of Conduct;
- Appropriate procedures are implemented to foster compliance with the Code of Conduct; and
- Procedures are in place for the Board to address conflict of interest matters.
- Reflects the culture and values of the Alberta Sport Connection.
- Appointment of each Board Member (including Chair) is for a fixed term of up to three years to a maximum of 10 years of service.
Skills and experiences required for the Chair include:
- Senior leadership and Board governance experience with proven success as a leader and in achieving results.
- Strong leadership, consensus building and communications skills to ensure the Alberta Sport Connection board is effective and efficient in achieving their stated goals and mandate.
- Leadership, teamwork, strategic thinking, planning, critical thinking, relationship building, strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Preferably Board Chair experience that includes one or more boards for community, industry, non-profits and/or corporate boards.
- Preferably Board training experience including an Institute of Corporate Directors designation.
- Understanding Alberta Sport Connection’s mandate and can participate in the board's deliberations and decisions in matters of operational policy, finance and programs.
The Board Chair is remunerated through Schedule 1, Part A of the Committee Remuneration Order (OC466/2007). Current rates for the Chair are:
- $219 for up to and including four hours in any day, or
- $383 for over four hours and up to and including eight hours in any day, or
- $601 for over eight hours in any day,
Honorarium is subject to review. ASC Board typically meets four times a year, conducts additional conference calls and committee meetings, as required. On average, the yearly time commitment for the Chair is approximately 64 hours per year. Face-to-face meetings take place throughout Alberta and usually in communities hosting the Alberta Games.
Board Members required to travel on Board business are reimbursed their expenses according to the most recent Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expense Directive.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, we require a biography. Click HERE to download the biography form. Applicants are expected to provide complete resumes including the names of three references.
Once the forms are completed, save them to your PC. When you click on submit application, you will be prompted to upload additional documents. Drag and drop or upload your completed biography form and others requested into the ‘Drop files below or click to upload’ section
Mr. Terry Baskier, Executive Search Consultant, Executive Search, Public Service Commission
5th fl Peace Hills Trust Tower
10011 - 109 Street Edmonton, AB T5J 3S8
Carefully read the Recruitment Posting and the Position Profile to ensure this is an appropriate opportunity for you. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
Online applications are preferred. To apply, click on the 'apply' button, create or sign into your account in the ePAAS system; upload your resume, view the listing under Current Opportunities and click on 'submit application'. The uploaded resume will be automatically attached.
Provide a short 4 line biography using the Biography template found under additional documents section. Your biography should include your name, current work experience, board/committee experience and relevant education. Please note that biographies may be edited for length and clarity.
Once your biography and other required form(s) are completed, save it to your PC. When you hit 'submit application', you will be prompted to upload additional documents. Drag and drop (or upload) your completed cover letter, biography and other form(s) into the 'Drop files below or click to upload' section before clicking the 'apply' button.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit a cover letter and resume, quoting the recruitment posting competition number, to the contact provided on the posting. We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to assess which candidates' qualifications most closely match the agency's requirements. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted to advance to the next step in the appointment process. You can check the status of each competition on-line at https://www.alberta.ca/public-agencies.cfm.
All potential candidates will be screened for potential conflicts of interest. Please Note: Successful applicants will have the following information about them made publicly available on the Public Agency Secretariat Website: name, biography, public agency, and position title.