Automobile Insurance Rate Board
The Minister of Treasury Board and Finance, is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as a public member of the Automobile Insurance Rate Board.
The Alberta Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB) is seeking five Board members:
- One of whom has a successful track record in senior actuarial roles in the property and casualty insurance industry, preferably with a focus on automobile insurance; and
- One of whom has demonstrated strong information and technology skills, managing and implementing information technology, working with cyber security and new technology innovations and an understanding of data and privacy issues in computing; and
- The remaining three members will have extensive Board experience in at least one of the following disciplines: governance, risk management, finance, law, consumer relations and/or property and casualty insurance.
The Board is representative of all Albertans; applications are encouraged from anywhere within the province. If candidates with the required skills and experience cannot be found within the province of Alberta, candidates from other jurisdictions may be considered.
The AIRB was established as a regulatory agency by the Government of Alberta and the Insurance Act in 2004. Accountable to the President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance (Minister), the AIRB is responsible for regulating automobile insurance rating programs in Alberta. Working alongside stakeholders such as the automobile insurance industry, the Consumer Representative and the public, the AIRB reviews and approves automobile insurance rates and rating programs for basic and additional coverage for all classes of vehicles, in accordance with the Automobile Insurance Premiums Regulation (AIPR). In addition, the Board's mandate includes public education and information in matters related to automobile insurance on an ongoing basis. The Board’s decisions are made independently of government, and the Board serves all Albertans —the public, industry and government.
As a member of this part-time board, you will play a key role in reviewing and approving automobile insurance rates and rating programs for coverage of all classes of vehicles. Board members will contribute to an annual review of automobile insurance trends and rates. Accountable to the Minister, the Board is responsible for the governance of the AIRB, overseeing the management of the AIRB's business and affairs, and guiding the AIRB's strategic direction. Serving as a board member, you will play a stewardship role in and contribute to advancing the public interest and the mandate of the AIRB.
The AIRB invites applications from candidates who are persons of integrity, respected by their peers, with an outstanding, successful and proven track record in their profession.
Board members will have demonstrated the following:
- Leadership ability and successful senior executive management experience;
- Experience reviewing and making decisions or advising on highly complex business and/or financial matters;
- Excellent analytical and timely decision-making skills with the ability to critically analyze and discuss complex information and make solid business decisions;
- Strong financial and management knowledge; and
- Well-developed communication skills.
In addition, the successful candidate will exhibit the following core qualities:
- Aptitude for fairness, listening skills, and communication;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Sound judgment; and
- Analytical ability.
- Identify any specific education, experience or professional/academic designation required
Candidates should also demonstrate expertise in at least one of the following specialized areas:
- Governance: prior or current experience as a Board member or executive of a public, private or non-profit organization;
- Insurance industry expertise: prior experience as an executive of an insurance company or broker;
- Financial expertise: prior or current financial officer experience in financial accounting, auditing and corporate finance;
- Legal expertise: prior or current experience in tort and insurance law;
- Actuarial expertise: prior or current experience as an actuary with some appreciation of property and casualty insurance (at least one of the new Board appointees must possess relevant training and an actuarial designation) ;
- Consumer relations: prior or current experience in dealing with consumer and/or community issues. A good communicator with an appreciation for consumer issues;
- Risk management: prior or current experience in risk oversight and risk management processes; and/or
- Information Technology: Prior or current experience with managing and implementing information technology. Working knowledge of cyber security, cloud and new technology innovations / solutions. Understanding data and privacy issues in computing.
The remuneration of individuals appointed to the Automobile Insurance Rate Board will be set according to the Schedule 1, Part A of Committee Remuneration Order 466/2007 :
The current rates are as follows:
$164 per half day
$290 per full day
The travel and expense re-imbursement of individuals appointed to the Automobile Insurance Rate Board will be set according to the Subsistence and Travel Allowance Regulation made by Ministerial Order 1/98, as amended, or any order made in substitution therefor, as though they were employees of the government:
Currently there are approximately 10 regular Board meetings per year that last approximately 5 hours each, a Public Annual Review meeting and approximately 10 or more simplified filing meetings that are typically held by conference calls that generally last no more than 1 hour. Meetings result in per diems as follows:
- Half day for regular Board meeting preparation
- Full day for regular Board meetings
For members traveling more than 50 kilometres, one way:
- half day for travel to meeting
- half day for travel from meeting
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and application to Tricia Mullen, Principal – Executive Search, at Conroy Ross Partners at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to Tricia Mullen at email@example.com. Tricia Mullen can be reached at (780) 432-5490 extension 426 or by mail at Conroy Ross Partners, 720 Manulife Place 10180 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3S4.
Carefully read the Recruitment Posting and the Position Profile to ensure this is an appropriate opportunity for you. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
Online applications are preferred. To apply, click on the 'apply' button, create or sign into your account in the ePAAS system; upload your resume, view the listing under Current Opportunities and click on 'submit application'. The uploaded resume will be automatically attached.
Provide a short (maximum 200 words) biography using the Biography template found under additional documents section. Your biography should contain general information about your education, experience, community involvement, skills, etc. Please note that biographies may be edited for length and clarity.
Once your biography and other required form(s) are completed, save it to your PC. When you hit 'submit application', you will be prompted to upload additional documents. Drag and drop (or upload) your completed cover letter, biography and other form(s) into the 'Drop files below or click to upload' section before clicking the 'apply' button.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit a cover letter and resume, quoting the recruitment posting competition number, to the contact provided on the posting. We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to assess which candidates' qualifications most closely match the agency's requirements. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted to advance to the next step in the appointment process. You can check the status of each competition on-line at https://www.alberta.ca/public-agencies.cfm.
All potential candidates will be screened for potential conflicts of interest. Please Note: Successful applicants will have the following information about them made publicly available on the Public Agency Secretariat Website: name,biography, public agency, position appointed to.