See the Sections in the Prorate Information Guide for detailed information on the answers provided.

1. What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a cooperative agreement among jurisdictions for registering vehicles with the intention to travel in Alberta and at least one other province or state.


Prorate fees are calculated by the percentage of total distance travelled within each jurisdiction. The alternative to prorating would be to purchase trip permits. Section in Guide: .

Apportioned Registration Does Not:

  • Waive or exempt a truck operator from obtaining operating authority from any jurisdiction in which the apportioned vehicle travels, or
  • Waive or replace the requirements of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), or
  • Allow registrants to exceed the maximum length, width, height or axle limitations (go to Legal Weights and Measures - Regulation Summary to see a quick reference to Alberta's regulations for common equipment), or
  • Exempt a client from filing the necessary proof of liability coverage in each jurisdiction where required.

2. What is FRP?

Under the Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP), carriers are granted full reciprocity for all apportioned (prorate) vehicles in all member jurisdictions.

On or after January 1, 2015 new IRP fleets will use Alberta's Average Per Vehicle Distance (APVD) Chart (PDF, 39 KB) and pay the fees for all jurisdictions in order to establish the IRP fleet.

Renewing on or after January 1, 2015 with no actual distances will also be treated as a "new" IRP fleet and pay fees based on the APVD chart.

FRP, eliminates the need to:

  • plan which jurisdictions you will travel in when establishing or renewing IRP fleets
  • provide any estimated distances or add jurisdictions
  • pay fees over 100% due to second-year estimated distances and added jurisdictions
  • purchase trip permits for temporary travel into a jurisdiction (provided the client is registered under IRP and properly insured)
  • set up multiple fleets, each travelling in a different set of jurisdictions with different distances. However, multiple fleets per client will still be allowed under FRP.

For more information visit the IRP web site and click on the Q & A link.

3. Who can apply?

Clients can apply for IRP registration if:

  1. Traveling in Alberta and at least one other member jurisdiction, and
  2. The criteria on the form Established Place of Business Questionnaire is met, and
  3. Operating one or more vehicle(s).

4. Can vehicles under 11,794 kg / 26,000 lbs be prorated?


Vehicles having a gross vehicle weight of 11,794 kg / 26,000 lbs, or less may be registered under the Plan at the option of the registrant.

5. Can a vehicle with a farm plate be prorated?


  • Farm registration is recognized by Canadian jurisdictions.
  • If using a farm vehicle for commercial purposes a commercial registration is required.
  • Clients who choose to register their vehicle for both farming and commercial business activities must use clear fuel commercially.
  • Farm registration is recognized by some US jurisdictions, check with the jurisdiction in which travel is intended.

6. Fees?

Fees are calculated using the percentage of total distance travelled within each jurisdiction.


Prorate Services provides quotes by phone (403) 297-2920. The following information is required to provide a quote for one vehicle.

  • Fees will vary based on the following:
    • effective date of application
    • combined gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the truck and trailer or bus
    • tare weight of the vehicle
    • number of truck axles
    • number of truck and trailer axles for Quebec only
    • capitalized cost of vehicle
    • vehicle purchase date
    • year of vehicle
    • vehicle type
    • fuel type.

A fee estimator is available at

Can I pay Quarterly?


  • IRP is an annual program.
  • Fees are based on the number of months remaining in the registration year.
  • Registration expiration dates are staggered.


Refunds are based on the number of months remaining in the registration year.

  • Cancellations must be processed as soon as possible; a delay could result in a reduction of the refund amount.
  • Refunds (cheques) are issued to the registrant.
  • Process for obtaining a refund:
    1. Complete and submit a supplement using Online Services, or
    2. Complete Section D on Vehicle - Form 2 and submit to Prorate Services.
    3. The registrant will be sent a fee notice that will show projected refund amounts for Canadian jurisdiction. If travelling in the United States stored credit will be shown on the fee notice for those US jurisdictions that allow Stored Credit.
    4. The fee notice, registration and cab card must be taken to an Alberta Registry Agent for processing.
    5. Once the Registry Agent has processed the cancellation the registrant may receive cheques from the Canadian jurisdictions that were prorated. Projected refunds are for the registration portion only, sales tax is not included.

7. What is Stored Credit?

Jurisdictions in the USA do not refund but many US jurisdictions will allow storing of credit for future use. When a vehicle ceases to be part of an IRP fleet during a registration period it may be eligible for a stored credit towards future US fees and taxes. These credits will be stored within the system. Each jurisdiction with IRP has defined rules and regulations governing the generation and use of credits and refunds. The application of a credit may be restricted to a vehicle, to a fleet, or to a carrier. Some jurisdictions do not allow stored credits.

There is more information on this in the Stored Credit Guide.

8. How to apply?

To set up a new IRP account complete and submit one of the New Client Package with backup documents, either by email to or by fax (403) 297-2917.

All prorate transactions have to be invoiced by Prorate Services prior to payment at a Registry, with the exception of:

  • duplicate registration, or
  • tab replacement.

9. Can applications be submitted online?

Online Services allows existing clients to complete and submit the following:

  • annual registration renewal
  • delete vehicle (or full cancel)
  • modify vehicle
  • new plate
  • document replacement
  • add jurisdiction, only for fleets effective prior to Jan 1, 2015.

Once you are registered with on-line services you will also have access to reports concerning your fleet(s):

  • Fleet Activity by Supplement,
  • Renewal for one Carrier,
  • Vehicles by Carrier and Fleet Year, and
  • Credit Report.

Register for Online Services at

10. How are jurisdictions added to an existing fleet? (Only for fleets effective prior to January 1, 2015)

  • Complete and submit a supplement using Online Services, or
  • Submit the following:
    1. s
      1. Login and click Prorate IRP - Online Portal,
      2. Click on Reports,
      3. Click on Vehicles by Carrier and Fleet Year.

11. What is a Weight Group?

This is a grouping of weights for the jurisdictions you are prorating into. You can have as many weight groups as you need as long as no two weight groups are the same. The client assigns a number to the weight group. This group is than assigned to the vehicle(s) that will operate with the same gross vehicle weight.

Below the units are assigned to a weight group #. This will be the weight group # you record on your application Vehicle-Form 2 and Weight-Form 3 for the unit(s) that have the same GVW grouping. This will change depending on the unit being registered. See the Max GVW chart for each jurisdictions allowable cab card weights.


Unit 101

Unit 102

Unit 103

Weight Group # 1

Weight Group # 2

Weight # 3

AB 63500

AB 63500

AB 56000

BC 63500

BC 56500

BC 56500

SK 62500

SK 63500

SK 56500

MB 63500

MB 56500

MB 56500

12. Where are completed applications submitted?

If not using Online Services, submit completed applications using one of the following methods:

If you need assistance call (403) 297-2920. To call toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000 first.

13. What are the record keeping requirements?

You must keep records as per the Agreement to Maintain Records.

Trip Summary forms are provided for your reference. Do not submit to Prorate.

14. What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?

IFTA's purpose is to simplify the reporting and payment of fuel taxes.

15. What is required for International travel?

It is the responsibility of the client to ensure that they have all the necessary documents when crossing jurisdictional borders. Contact jurisdiction prior to travel.

Below are some common requirements:

  • Clients are required to contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) at (207) 624-9000 or A federal United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number is mandatory when traveling into the USA.
  • Clients traveling into the USA require Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) If you have any questions contact Montana IRP office at (406) 444-2998.
  • US Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax – applicable on vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 24,948 kgs/55,000 lbs and greater. Form 2290 may be obtained online at
  • All prorated clients are required to have a Safety Fitness certificate with "Federal" operating status, contact (403) 340-5444.

For other requirements go to the Transport Canada web site:

16. Is your vehicle imported?

For requirements go to More information is available from Registrar of Imported Vehicles

17. Where are the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement facilities (weigh scales) located?

18. Is more information required?

  • Call (403) 297-2920, toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000 first.
  • E-mail
  • Office hours are 8:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday except for holidays.