David Manson Eggen biography
David Eggen is the Minister of Education.
David Eggen was sworn in as the Minister of Education on May 24, 2015. He previously also served as the Minister of Culture and Tourism.
Mr. Eggen was elected as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Edmonton-Calder on April 23, 2012 and again on May 5, 2015.
He previously represented the constituency from 2004 to 2008 and served as the ND's critic for energy, education, environment and sustainable resource development.
Mr. Eggen has served as a member of the following committees:
- Standing Committee on Families and Communities
- Standing Committee on Legislative Offices
- Standing Committee on Alberta’s Economic Future
- Select Special Chief Electoral Officer Search Committee
- Select Special Ethics Commissioner Search Committee
- Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund
Mr. Eggen was educated at the University of Alberta, where he received a bachelor of education degree in 1984. He then went to Zimbabwe, where he taught for three years. Upon his return to Edmonton he taught at a number of local schools from 1990 to 2004.
In addition to his contributions to education and health care, Mr. Eggen is a trustee with the Forum for Young Albertans and a chair leader of the Canadian Paraplegic Association.
The Eggen family has lived and worked in northwest Edmonton for more than 20 years.