The plumbing discipline establishes and interprets the codes, standards and respective regulations under the Safety Codes Act.
Municipal Affairs works with the Safety Codes Council to develop and provide information to the plumbing industry.
The plumbing discipline code currently in force is:
- National Plumbing Code of Canada 2015: Declared in force on January 1, 2017
- National Plumbing Code of Canada 2010 – In force from September 7, 2012 to December 31, 2016
- National Plumbing Code of Canada 2005 – In force from September 2, 2007 to September 6, 2012
- National Plumbing Code of Canada 1995 – In force from November 1, 1997 to September 1, 2007
Purchase a copy of the National Plumbing Code of Canada 2015 from the National Research Council.
- Plumbing Codes come into force under the Plumbing Code Regulation
Advisories related to plumbing codes.
- Notice: National Plumbing Code 2015 came into force on January 1, 2017
- Alternative Solutions Guide for Small System Reclaimed Water Reuse
Forms and reports
- Product Malfunction Report (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Variance under the Safety Codes Act
- STANDATA: plumbing safety information bulletins
- STANDATA: plumbing safety variances
Receive bulletins by email for interpretations, clarifications, recommended practices or province wide variances on codes and standards matters related to the Safety Codes Act.
Restricted certificate contractors
Contractors must have a current certificate of competency to obtain permits for sewer and water services in Alberta.
- Restricted Certificate Contractors List (PDF, 119 KB)
- Notice: Certification for Plumbing and Private Sewage Disposal Systems
Contractors who currently hold a Private Sewage Certificate or a Restricted Private Sewage Certificate are also qualified to obtain permits for sewer and water services in Alberta.
- Private Sewage Certified Contractors List (PDF, 489 KB)
To connect with the Public Safety Division:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-1010 (within Canada and the United States)
Toll free: 1-866-421-6929 (within Canada)