Information on Planning for Results
- Strategic Planning for Results Workbook: This workbook summarizes the book Strategic Planning for Results and includes various document templates and forms.
- Advice for smaller libraries: How to do planning for your smaller library.
- A one page description of Strategic Planning for Results
- Tasks and steps in Planning for Results
Workforms, templates, meeting agendas and other tools
- Responding to the Community: A library board meeting agenda for after the first (or only) community meeting. It helps a library board respond to the community group's recommendations.
- Goal writing templates: This template from Lac La Biche and this workform from Strategic Planning for Results will help you write goals based on your selected Service Responses.
- Objective writing templates: This template from Lac La Biche and this workform from Strategic Planning for Results will help you write objectives that put your goals into action.
- Picking library services that respond to community needs: If you use this form in your public meetings, it will make the participants pick Service Responses that respond to community needs (as opposed to responses that "sound good")
- Communication plan workform: This will help you write a Communication Plan at the beginning of the process.
- Community Vision form: This is for use in your public meetings; it will help the group formulate a vision for the ideal future community.
- Selecting Community Planning Committee members: this form will help your board pick the people it wants to invite to determine community needs and library service responses.
- SWOT Analysis: this form will help community planning committee members to identify the community's Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
- Community Information Database: An easy-to-use, free online tool which provides information on Canadian communities. Good support for your community needs assessment.
- Sample plans from Alberta Libraries
Resources for teaching library boards about planning
Strategic Planning for Results workshop slideshow, handouts and trainer notes: these are for use when delivering the 4.5 hour workshop developed by Sandra Nelson for Alberta Libraries. The handouts should be printed and distributed to all workshop attendees. The trainer notes explain the slideshow for the trainer delivering the workshop.