If you disagree with a decision the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) program makes and the decision affects you, there are a few options for resolving your concerns. Some have time limits and the timing for one may affect another.
You and your guardian can choose one or more of the options:
- talk to the PDD program
- PDD program decision review
The first 3 options make up the PDD dispute resolution process. They usually happen before you file an appeal.
Talk to the PDD program
- Start by talking to your PDD worker and asking them why the decision was made.
- Explain why you disagree with the decision.
- Try to reach an agreement that satisfies both of you – if you cannot, ask to talk to their supervisor, and if needed, a manager.
- Try to reach an agreement that satisfies everyone – if you cannot, consider the other options below.
PDD program decision review
- You can have the decision you disagree with reviewed by a senior PDD staff who was not involved in making the decision.
- Ask your PDD worker for a program decision review within 30 days from the date you were told about the decision in person, by phone, letter or email.
- This review is completed within 15 working days from the date you asked for it. You will get the results by letter.
- Mediation is when a person who does not work for the PDD program helps you and the PDD program reach a decision that is agreeable to everyone involved.
- You must ask for mediation within 30 days from the date you were told about the PDD program’s decision in person, by phone, letter or email.
- Contact your PDD worker to request mediation and they will make arrangements.
- An appeal is when you ask an appeal panel to review a PDD program decision you disagree with and you are affected by the decision.
- Unless you choose mediation first, you can appeal within 45 days from the date you:
- got the PDD program’s decision in person, by phone, email or letter
- were told about your right to appeal
- If you chose mediation and were not happy with the outcome, you can still file an appeal up to 30 days after the mediation process ends.
- Find out more about appealing a PDD decision.