Overland flooding is where water flows overland and seeps into buildings through windows, doors and cracks.

Overland flooding commonly occurs:

  • when the volume of water in a river or stream exceeds the capacity of the channel
  • after heavy rainfall, especially in the spring, when the ground is still frozen or already saturated from previous storms
  • following rapid melting of snow and ice jams

Overland flooding insurance is now offered by dozens of insurance companies in Alberta. All property owners should have adequate overland flood insurance as the Disaster Recovery Program does not provide assistance for damages that are insurable.

Upcoming changes

Currently, Albertans may qualify to receive assistance for damages caused by uninsurable overland flooding through the Disaster Recovery Program. However, since many insurance companies are now offering coverage at reasonable costs, the program will be reassessed in 2019.

It’s important to note the amount you pay for coverage will depend on where you live and premiums will vary by insurance company.

There is currently no standardized flood mapping system used for insurance in Alberta. However, the government’s Flood Hazard Map shows the risks of a 1 in a 100-year flood event.

You should check with several insurance companies and compare policy coverage and premiums when you purchase overland flood insurance.

For questions about insurance coverage in Alberta, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada.