Evaluators need to understand why the job exists, determine the focus of the work and have a sound understanding of the job responsibilities, then assess it against the:
- classification or stream definitions for Opted Out and Excluded and each Subsidiary by considering the descriptor in its entirety rather than isolated phrases
- guide charts
- benchmark jobs developed for Opted Out and Excluded, which identify the number of levels and characterize the difference between the work in each level in a class series or Stream
In some cases, it may be necessary to assess the work by using the guide charts and benchmarks for the management plan.
The following questions can be used as a guide:
- Does the job fit within Opted Out and Excluded?
- What is the rating?
- Which benchmark job aligns with the kind and level of work?
- Where appropriate, do the job responsibilities compare to the Management Job Evaluation Plan and the benchmarks?
Work currently performed within Opted Out and Excluded, Schedule 1 Part 2-A of the Government of Alberta has been evaluated using a point rating system. Assessment of whether a job falls within Schedule 1 Part 2-A is based on the type of work performed. Ten groupings exist within Schedule 1 Part 2-A of the Opted Out and Excluded element. These are:
Entails the application of scientific principles and practices relating to agriculture. Function requires eligibility for membership in the Alberta Institute of Agrologists.
- Benchmark listing – Agrologist (PDF, 26 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Agrologist (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Engineering and Related
Entails the application of theories and principles of Architecture, Engineering Science, Applied Science, Geology or Geophysics. Functions require eligibility for membership in the Alberta Association of Architects or admittance to the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta.
- Benchmark listing – Engineering and Related (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Engineering and Related (PDF, 28 KB)
Legal counsel work performed within Alberta Justice and Attorney General requiring membership in the Law Society of Alberta.
- Benchmark listing – Legal Counsel (PDF, 460 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Legal Counsel (PDF, 22 KB)
Professional veterinarian work requiring membership in the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association.
- Benchmark listing – Veterinarian (PDF, 703 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Veterinarian (PDF, 28 KB)
Professional audit work applying accepted audit theories and principles when conducting financial and/or management audits internal to the ministry or government. Auditor positions are engaged in independent review of activities within the organization that may include compliance audits or operational ‘value for money’ audits, where complete objectivity is essential. Work at the senior levels involves planning audits, selecting audit procedures, recommending or selecting team members, providing instruction on methods, selecting and establishing operating performance standards, and preparing reports on the findings.
The work involves professional review, analysis and forecasting of expenditures and revenues. Budget Officers prepare economic projections and background data required for budgetary projections, review revenue and expenditure trends and prepare reports on these trends, and conduct special studies on the relation of general economic conditions to budgetary requirements. Work also includes preparing budget estimates and analyzing and making recommendations on program objectives and proposed spending levels.
- Benchmark listing – Budget Officer (PDF, 873 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Budget Officer (PDF, 28 KB)
Professional consulting in the human resource management field includes the administration of personnel policies or programs, or officers under the Labour Relations Code dealing with matters related to collective bargaining under that act or investigative work under the authority of the Ombudsman.
- Benchmark listing – Human Relations (PDF, 588 KB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Human Relations (PDF, 28 KB)
Installation, maintenance, support and planning of information technology infrastructure (software or hardware). Entails the application of computing science principles and theories. Work could involve specialization in: end-user support, applications, technical support or any combination of these. Work includes: assisting non-electronic data processing users in the use of the computer, development and/or maintenance of small to medium applications or segments of larger or more complex applications, or evaluation, installation and support of moderately complex system hardware or software.
- Benchmark listing – Systems Analyst (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Minimum Recruitment Standards – Systems Analyst (PDF, 29 KB)
Classes and point bands
Table 1. Opted Out and Excluded classes and point bands
|Class number||Class title||Minimum||Maximum|
|521AG||Agrologist Level 1||269||370|
|522AG||Agrologist Level 2||371||438|
|523AG||Agrologist Level 3||439||518|
|521ER||Engineering and Related Level 1||269||370|
|522ER||Engineering and Related Level 2||371||438|
|524ER||Engineering and Related Level 3||519||613|
|522VT||Veterinarian Level 1||371||438|
|523VT||Veterinarian Level 2||439||518|
|524VT||Veterinarian Level 3||519||613|
|525VT||Veterinarian Level 4||614||734|
|511AU||Auditor Level 1||269||370|
|512AU||Auditor Level 2||371||438|
|513AU||Auditor Level 3||439||518|
|511BO||Budget Officer Level 1||269||370|
|512BO||Budget Officer Level 2||371||438|
|513BO||Budget Officer Level 3||439||518|
|511HR||Human Relations Level 1||269||370|
|512HR||Human Relations Level 2||371||438|
|513HR||Human Relations Level 3||439||518|
|511SA||Systems Analyst 1||269||370|
|512SA||Systems Analyst Level 2||371||438|
|513SA||Systems Analyst Level 3||439||518|
Salary details are listed on Opted out and excluded pay plans and salary ranges.