Table of contents


If you are conducting seismic exploration in a provincial highway right-of-way, you must apply for a permit from Alberta Transportation.

Safety considerations

For safety reasons:

  • operations may be restricted to daylight hours and only in conditions of clear visibility
  • no cables can be left on the highway overnight
  • parking is not permitted on the highway surface or slideslope of the highway
  • drainage patterns on or beside the highway cannot be altered or disturbed in any way
  • the right-of-way cannot be damaged in any way by the exploration operation
  • warning signs must be installed to control and guide traffic
  • provisions of the Traffic Safety Act must be followed at all times

Other safety considerations and requirements are outlined in the Guidelines for Seismic Exploration in Highway Rights-of Way.

How to apply

If the exploration passes through, within or beside an Indian Reserve or Metis Settlement, you must contact the local Chief and Band Council before you submit an application to Alberta Transportation.

Step 1. Complete the application form

Alberta Transportation requires at least 21 business days to review seismic exploration applications.

Ensure you:

  • print your responses
  • attach a copy of your site plan that clearly identifies:
    • start and finish (path of investigation)
    • crossing locations
    • legal land locations
    • access locations

Step 2. Submit the form to Alberta Transportation

Return your completed form to the appropriate Alberta Transportation District Office for review:

  • by email (in PDF format)
  • by fax
  • by mail
  • in person

A department representative may contact you for more information before your application can be approved.

Step 3. Receive your permit

If your application is approved, you may also be notified of site specific safety concerns identified by the department staff who reviewed your proposal. These concerns must be addressed when you conduct the exploration.

Step 4. Contact us 2 business days before exploration activity

You must give 2 business days’ notice to the Development and Planning Technologist at your Alberta Transportation District Office before scheduled operations begin.


For more information about highway development and permits:

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.