From other places in Canada

People who have recently moved to Alberta may use their valid driver's licence from outside of Alberta for the first 90 days of their residency.

They must apply for an Alberta driver's licence and give their old licence to an Alberta registry agent office within those 90 days. It is illegal to hold more than one driver's licence.

Depending on the class of licence, driver's licence equivalency restrictions may apply to individuals exchanging a driver's licence from another jurisdiction within Canada.

Applicants for class 1, 2 or 4 licences must provide a medical report and pass a vision screening.

See more information on exchanging a licence from another province.

From the United States

  • Licence holders from the United States, other than those in the class 5, 6 and 7, must complete all requirements.

When you apply, you may be required to provide documents to prove residency. For details, inquire at your local registry agent office.

Countries with reciprocal licensing agreements

Alberta currently has Reciprocal Licensing Agreements with the following jurisdiction:

  • Austria
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
  • Northern Ireland
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Scotland
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (Republic of China)
  • Wales

A valid licence from a jurisdiction that has a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta can be exchanged for a Class 5 licence when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class.

All other licence classes require testing and vision screening. The applicants must disclose all medical conditions and physical disabilities that may affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. All applicants must produce immigration and residency documentation along with acceptable identification.

Jurisdictions without reciprocal licensing agreements

A person coming to Alberta from outside Canada may apply to have their previous driving history credited to their Alberta driving record. A successful application will grant exemption from the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program and allow for Class 5 road testing without being required to hold a Class 7 driver's licence for one year. More information about the process for exchanging a licence from a non-reciprocal jurisdiction is available at any registry agent office.


A student is not required to obtain an Alberta driver's licence when operating a motor vehicle if the following apply:

  • The student is authorized to operate a motor vehicle of the same type or class by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the student ordinarily resides.
  • The documents required by the laws of the jurisdiction where the student ordinarily resides are carried by the student or are in the vehicle.
  • The student must carry proof showing that he or she is a full time student in this province.