French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.
La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.
Moving Forward with High School Redesign is a provincewide initiative focused on three outcomes: engaged students, high levels of achievement and quality teaching. It's about redesigning high school to be more student-centred and responsive.
Moving Forward with High School Redesign is a provincewide initiative focused on three outcomes:
- engaged students
- high levels of achievement
- quality teaching
Moving Forward with High School Redesign is about more than simply shifting a timetable. It's about shifting mindsets. While the timetable shift opens the door for schools to create flexible learning environments, the mindset shift leads to changes in practice that ensure the flexible learning environments are used to support increased student engagement in learning, improved student achievement and enhanced teacher practice.
The shift in mindset to a focus on student-centered learning happens as a number of key practices are put in place, including:
- personalizing learning
- developing meaningful relationship
- creating rigorous and relevant learning opportunities; and supporting mastery learning
The following documents support the work being done on the Moving Forward with High School Redesign Initiative.
These videos support the work being done on the Moving Forward with High School Redesign Initiative.
This links contain information that support the Moving Forward With High School Redesign initiative.
- ARPDC MFWHSR Site
- Highly Adaptive Learning Systems: Research in Seven Redesign High Schools in Alberta Final Report
- The Conditions Necessary for a School Leader to Successfully Implement an Initiative
- Moving Forward with High School Redesign Guiding Questions
- Beyond the Carnegie Unit
- Classroom Assessment: Minute by Minute, Day by Day
- Learn Anytime, Anywhere: Rethinking How Students Earn Credit Beyond School Hours
- Student Engagement for Effective Teaching and Deep Learning
Moving Forward with High School Redesign is grounded in nine foundational principles.
- Mastery Learning
- Rigorous and Relevant Curriculum
- Flexible Learning Environments
- Educator Roles and Professional Development
- Meaningful Relationships
- Home and Community Involvement
- Welcoming, Caring, Respectful and Safe Learning Environment
These foundational principles are interconnected. While a school may choose to focus on one or two principles in any given year, it is likely that they will touch on other principles as well.
Video Discussion Guides and Info Sheets
Information on the Foundational Principles of Moving Forward with High School Redesign.
Video discussion guides
- Flexible Learning Environments (PDF, 473 KB)
- Mastery Learning (PDF, 477 KB)
- Rigorous and Relevant Curriculum (PDF, 479 KB)
- Meaningful Relationships (PDF, 41 KB)
- Personalization (PDF, 82 KB)
- Educator Roles and Professional Development (PDF, 42 KB)
Foundational principles info sheets
- Mastery Learning (PDF, 336 KB)
- Personalization (PDF, 403 KB)
- Rigorous and Relevant Curriculum (PDF, 190 KB)
- Flexible Learning Environments (PDF, 381 KB)
- Educator Roles and Professional Development (PDF, 295 KB)
- Meaningful Relationships (PDF, 289 KB)
- Home and Community Involvement (PDF, 493 KB)
- Assessment (PDF, 376 KB)
- Welcoming, Caring, Respectful and Safe (PDF, 386 KB)
- Sources (PDF, 240 KB)
More Than a Matter of Time infographic
- More Than a Matter of Time (PDF, 139 KB)
Moving Forward with High School Redesign has produced a video series to highlight work around the province and to showcase how schools can implement principles and achieve outcomes.