The winners for the 2019 Minister’s Awards for Municipal Excellence are:
- Innovation Award – Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
- Safe Communities Award – Town of Claresholm
- Partnership Award – County of Warner
- Larger Municipalities Award – City of Calgary
- Smaller Municipalities Award – Town of Bruderheim
- Outstanding Achievement Award – County of Barrhead
For more information about the all current and past winners, please see the Award Recipients page.
Since 2002, this annual award program has encouraged municipalities to share their successes by recognizing accomplishments in the provision of municipal services in Alberta. Each year municipalities, whether individually or in partnership with other organizations, have highlighted practices including new and unique approaches to issues, streamlined processes for existing practices, and creative community partnerships.
- Recognizes a leading practice embodying the first use of an idea in a municipal context in Alberta (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000).
- Recognizes a leading municipal practice involving consultation, co-ordination and co-operation with other municipalities, jurisdictions or organizations (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000).
- Recognizes a leading practice focused on making municipalities safer through prevention and enforcement (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000).
- Recognizes an innovative practice developed by communities with less than 3,000 residents.
- Recognizes an innovative and creative practice of larger municipalities with populations of 500,000 or greater that have a substantial resource base and who can partner with departments within the municipality’s control.
- Recognizes a municipality or municipal partnership that has helped to inspire action and change that has benefited local government practice in Alberta. This award, if chosen by the review committee, recognizes the best submission from the other categories.
All municipalities are eligible.
Municipalities may submit one or 2 practices per year. Each practice can only be submitted once. This means the same practice cannot be submitted to more than one category.
The Awards program is open only to municipalities to apply, though other organizations can have a role in the submitted practice. This means the municipality applies for the award and can recognize its partners/other organizations as part of its submission.
Submissions will be evaluated by a panel of municipal representatives, which will recommend award winners to the Minister.
Submissions must demonstrate that the practice addressed a community need and has been in place for a sufficient length of time to produce verifiable results.
How to submit a practice
Please use the submission form below that corresponds to the award category for your municipal practice.
Innovation Category (DOCX, 56 KB)
Partnership Category (DOCX, 56 KB)
Safe Communities Category (DOCX, 56 KB)
Smaller Municipalities Category (DOCX, 55 KB)
Larger Municipalities Category (DOCX, 56 KB)