Exploration tool kit

Table 1.

Title Description
Summary of Requirements Exploring for minerals in Alberta
Acts and Regulations List of related Acts and Regulations
Information Letters and Bulletins Information letters
Information bulletins - metallic and industrial minerals
Apply Electronic transfer system (ETS)
To apply for a metallic and industrial mineral permit or transfer mineral rights.
Mineral Assessment Reporting Tools A Guideline for Preparing Mineral Assessment Reports in Alberta
Mineral assessment report checklist (PDF, 31 KB)
Maps (updated overnight) Interactive maps
Mineral disposition information is available through an interactive mapping program. This program allows you to select location, scale and map features, and conduct basic searches.
Alberta Township Survey System Introduction to ATS (PDF, 302 KB)
For legal land description (meridian, township, range, section, legal subdivision).
Map Coordinates Converter Alberta Geological Survey Conversion
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI) AMI searches
Information on requesting and conducting searches.
Alberta Geoscience Information Mineral assessment reports
List of published reports available from Coal and Mineral Development.

Alberta Geological Survey (AGS)
To buy or view public geoscience information such as AGS geoscience reports, geology maps and drill core samples.

Other Resources Minerals prospecting tool kit
Mineral statistics


Table 2.

Title Description
Check Mineral Rights and Restrictions Check metallic and industrial minerals interactive map. Obtain search for specific mineral rights and restrictions.
Obtain Metallic and Industrial Mineral Permit Apply through ETS:
  • $625 application fee (+GST if applicable)
  • minimum 16 to maximum 9216 hectares per permit
  • lands must be contiguous (adjoining)
  • obtain the permit
  • 14 years, not renewable
Obtain Approval to Explore Apply to Environment and Parks for an Exploration Licence, Permit and/or Approval as appropriate.
Conduct Exploration Contact Alberta Geological Survey for relevant geoscience information and samples. Meet surface operation requirements approved by Environment and Parks, Human Services, local municipality, etc. Meet terms of Metallic and Industrial Mineral Permit.
Prepare Mineral Assessment Reports Expenditure required every two years:
  • Year 1-2 $5/ha
  • Year 3-4 and Year 5-6 $10/ha
  • Year 7-8, Year 9-10, Year 11-12 and Year 13-14 $15/ha
Submit your mineral assessment report to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit on or before the deadline set in the regulations.
Reduce Permit Area
(if applicable)
Request reduction by letter to Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy, any time in permit term. Or, include reduction in mineral assessment report, especially if work expenditure is less than required.
Transfer Mineral Rights
(if applicable)
Transfer application and letter to Alberta Energy.
Terminate Permit
(one of the following)
Cancel permit by letter to Alberta Energy, Coal and Mineral Development. Permit expiry:
  • Alberta Energy notifies permittee after expiry
Apply for lease:
  • must hold permit for minimum 2 years
  • lease is for developing and producing confirmed mineral deposits


Connect with the Coal and Mineral Development Unit:

Hours: 8:15 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7707
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]


Alberta Energy
Coal and Mineral Development Unit
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street *
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G6

* Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.

Calgary (drop-off location only)

Alberta Energy
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 3W2

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.