COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Manure Transportation Calculator (MTC) is a Windows-based (Excel) program developed by the Alberta government. The calculator can be used to determine the net cost of application and transportation for manure as a nutrient source. Users enter their information to generate an estimate of the net economic benefit gained from the manure application based on the nutrient requirements for each field and crop.
The program allows for the evaluation of up to 6 different fields and 1 to 5 year crop rotation plans. It can also compare the impact of management decisions in 2 different fields. This comparison allows for effective management of manure resources.
Calculator inputs will require:
- type of manure available
- fertilizer market values
- cropping rotation
- yield goals
- transportation/application method
- costing variables
The MTC uses book value estimates of manure nutrient content, nutrient release and transportation costs. Producers should use their own values to make manure application decisions. There is a risk of over- or under-estimating costs and returns based on book values. The MTC provides an indicator of value based on the data provide.
Alberta Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development, having no control over individual soil tests, lab evaluations, yield goals, estimated nutrient release, transportation costs or other costing factors and makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, as to the predicted cost benefit of manure application generated by this system and assumes no responsibility or liability for use of the program.
By downloading this software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement as set out below. If you do not agree to be bound, do not download this software.
- The software and any written materials that might accompany the electronic version of MTC ("written materials") are proprietary to and all rights except those expressly given herein remain with Her Majesty the Queen in right of Alberta ("Alberta Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development").
- The software and written materials are protected by Canadian copyright law and international treaty provisions.
- You are hereby authorized to transfer the software to a single system.
- You may not copy written materials.
- You may not rent or lease the software but you may transfer all of your interest in it, accompanied by written materials, if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this agreement.
- You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the software.
- In no event will Alberta Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development be liable to you for any claims, costs, losses or damages, including without limitation, lost profits or lost data arising out of the use or inability to use the software or any data or any advice supplied therein.
Check system requirements.
The estimated file size is 362 KB. To use the program you’ll need:
- Microsoft Excel or another spreadsheet program capable of handling a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Note: Microsoft Works is not sufficient.
Estimated download time: approximately 1 minute on a 28.8K modem.
Download the program:
- Download the application file to your computer.
- Manure Transportation Calculator (XLSM, 362 KB)
- You will be prompted to Save the application file. You can save it either to your desktop for easy access, or to a location on your computer where you store management tools.
Run the MTC:
- Double-click the file 'mt-calc' in the location where you saved it, then follow the instructions.
- Enter the information needed to calculate an estimate of nutrient accumulation.
Sign up for updates
Fill out the online form below to get future updates about the program.
Notice of Collection
The information on this form that may identify you will be used to notify you electronically of the posting of updates to the "MTC" program on the website. Data collected will be used only, in addition to the aforementioned purposes, to assist us in internally monitoring the variety and location of clients utilizing the program, evaluate the effectiveness of the program, and thereby to enhance the effectiveness and utilization of MTC. The information is being collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Privacy (FOIP) Act. It is subject to the provisions of the FOIP Act.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.