The Manure Management Planner (MMP) software application was originally developed by Purdue University for use in the United States. The program was adapted by the Alberta government for use in Alberta.
Using the program, the user enters information about an operation’s:
- crop acreage
- seasonal land availability
- manure storage capacity
- application equipment
MMP helps the user allocate manure (where, when, and how much) on a monthly basis for the length of the plan (1 to 10 years). This allocation process helps determine if the current operation has sufficient resources to manage the produced manure in an environmentally responsible manner.
The planner also identifies changes needed for a non-sustainable operation to become sustainable, or to keep an operation sustainable if it expands.
A set of comprehensive user guides introduce you to the MMP software application and its supporting programs. These guides provide concise overviews of setting up and using the programs, and tips for experienced users and those just starting out.
For more information see the Purdue University MMP website.
MMP is a manure management planning tool. The program uses book values for nutrient content and nutrient release. There is a risk of over- or under-estimating nutrient application rates based on using book values. Producers are encouraged to use their own manure nutrient content values to improve output relevancy for their operations. Regular soil sampling and analysis is the best way to monitor and manage soil nutrient levels.
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation, having no control over individual soil tests, lab evaluations and environmental conditions makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, as to the predicted manure production rates and yield responses generated by this system and assumes no responsibility or liability for use of the program.
By downloading this software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement as set out below. If you do not agree to be bound, do not download this software.
- The software and any written materials that might accompany the electronic version of MMP ("written materials") are proprietary to and all rights except those expressly given herein remain with Purdue Research Foundation (Copyright © 2007).
- The software and written materials are protected by Canadian copyright law and international treaty provisions.
- You are hereby authorized to transfer the software to a single system.
- You may not copy written materials.
- You may not rent or lease the software but you may transfer all of your interest in it, accompanied by written materials, if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this agreement.
- You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the software.
- In no event will Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation be liable to you for any claims, costs, losses or damages, including without limitation, lost profits or lost data arising out of the use or inability to use the software or any data or any advice supplied therein.
Check system requirements.
The estimated MMP file size is 7.5 MB. To use the MMP 2011 program you’ll need:
- Pentium with Intel, Celeron, AMD Processor
- Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Vista and 7
- Video Display: minimum resolution of 600 x 800 dpi
- minimum 75 MB free hard disk space
Review the MMP user guide and notes above.
Download the MMP software:
- Click the button below to download the application file to your computer.
- You will be prompted to Save the application file. You can save it either to your desktop for easy access, or to a location on your computer where you store management tools.
If you need help downloading and installing the software, see:
Run the MMP:
- Double-click the ‘SetupMMP-0382.exe’ file in the location where you saved it, then follow the instructions.
- Try a few different scenarios to become comfortable with the program. Then use the program to help make cropping decisions on your farm.
- Crop pricing information changes continuously, so producers should adjust those figures accordingly to reflect their own expectations.
Sign up for updates
Fill out the online form below to get future updates about the program.
Notice of Collection
The information on this form that may identify you will be used to notify you electronically of the posting of updates to the "MMP" program on the website. Data collected will be used only, in addition to the aforementioned purposes, to assist us in internally monitoring the variety and location of clients utilizing the program, evaluate the effectiveness of the program, and thereby to enhance the effectiveness and utilization of MMP. The information is being collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. It is subject to the provisions of the FOIP Act.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.