COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Alberta Transportation’s contaminated sites portfolio focuses on hundreds of highway maintenance yards located throughout the Province of Alberta. These yards store salt, pickled sand, and other materials to maintain Alberta’s highways. The Environmental Regulation section manages these sites with the goal of:
- Prioritizing contaminated sites based on risks they pose to the environment
- Minimizing environmental risks and department liability
- Coordinating activities to track conformance to standards as well as compliance to legislation
- Conducting phase I, II, III Environmental Site Assessments and groundwater monitoring
- Preparing risk management plans, performing remediation and post remediation activities
- Conducting annual inspections of highway maintenance yards
- Developing standards, specifications and guidelines to ensure regional consistency
- Providing technical support on complex environmental projects and operations
- Alberta Environment Site Assessment Standard, 2016
- Alberta Tier 1 Soil and Groundwater Remediation Guidelines, 2016
- Alberta Tier 2 Soil and Groundwater Remediation Guidelines, 2016
- Alberta Risk Management Plan Guideline, 2017
- Environmental Quality Guidelines for Alberta Surface Waters, 2018
- Salt Contamination Assessment and Remediation Guidelines, 2001
Connect with the Environmental Regulation section:
2nd Floor, Twin Atria building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.