The Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant (the Grant) provides eligible retail fuel dealers in the border City of Lloydminster with a grant that covers the difference in total fuel tax and carbon levy imposed by Alberta and the fuel tax imposed by Saskatchewan on litres of qualifying fuel sold. The grant is administered by Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA).
For 2018, the Grant is:
- 4.73 cents per litre of clear gasoline
- 6.03 cents per litre of clear diesel
- 5.02 cents per litre of propane used for motive purposes
The Grant program will be reviewed periodically and the amounts per litre may be adjusted as provincial and federal carbon price changes are implemented.
Only retail fuel dealers on the Alberta side of Lloydminster that sell clear gasoline, clear diesel, or propane used for motive purposes directly to end consumers at retail gas stations or through cardlock activated pumps are eligible for the Grant.
A claim for the Grant cannot be made in respect of sales of clear gasoline, clear diesel, or propane used for motive purposes that is delivered. The Grant does not apply to heating fuel nor marked fuel.
The Grant applies to fuel sales starting January 1, 2017.
Trouble opening PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open on some mobile devices and web browsers. If the form doesn't open or you see a "please wait" message, follow these steps to complete and save fillable forms from Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA):
- Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As", and save the form to your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
To submit your forms
Forms cannot be sent through email. Complete and print your forms and bring, mail or fax them to TRA.
How to register
Step 1: Fill out the registration
- Complete the Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant Registration (AT5400) form (PDF, 1.5 MB).
- All applicants must agree to the terms and conditions of the Grant program at the time of registration.
Step 2: Submit your registration
- Bring, mail or fax your completed Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant Registration form to TRA.
Step 3: Receive decision letter
- If approved, you will receive a letter advising of your Alberta Business Identification Number (BIN) to be referenced on any correspondence or documents.
- TRA has the absolute discretion to determine the eligibility of any applicant to participate in the Grant program and to determine the entitlement of any applicant to a Grant under the program, and the determination of TRA is final.
How to file a claim
A claim for the Grant must be made no later than 1 year after the end of the year in which the fuel was sold. Applications submitted after that time will not be processed and the Grant will not be paid in respect of those litres of fuel.
A Grant claim cannot be filed more often than on a monthly basis, with the Grant claim period beginning on the first day and ending on the last day of the respective calendar month.
Step 1: Fill out the claim
- Complete the Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant Claim (AT5410) (PDF, 370 KB).
- Claims will be accepted within 1 year after the end of the year in which the respective fuel was sold.
Step 2: Submit your claim
- Bring, mail or fax your completed Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant form to TRA.
Step 3: Receive your grant
- Receive your grant by direct deposit or cheque. If there were changes made to your claim, a letter of assessment will be mailed to you.
How to set up direct deposit
- Complete an Application for Direct Deposit (AT4812) (PDF, 174 KB).
- Submit the form to TRA along with a copy of a “VOID” blank cheque.
- Funds will only be deposited into one bank account.
Record keeping and audit
Record keeping requirements
A claimant must retain complete and accurate records, including financial records and supporting information provided on the claim and its eligibility to participate in the program. These records must be retained for 3 years from the date an amount is paid under the Grant program.
TRA reserves the right to verify information on a Grant registration or Grant claim.
A claimant may be required to repay part or all of the Grant if it is determined that, for example:
- the applicant or claimant provided false information
- the applicant or claimant was not eligible or entitled to receive the Grant
- the Grant was received not in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Grant program
If a claimant is required to repay part or all of a Grant, interest will be charged from the time the amount was first paid to the claimant until the date on which the amount was repaid.
4.73 cents per litre
2.49 cents per litre
6.03 cents per litre
3.35 cents per litre
Propane used for motive purposes
5.02 cents per litre
3.48 cents per litre
Publications and forms
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1R1 – An Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration (March 2018)
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge (July 2018)
- TRA-3 – Alberta Commodity Tax Acts – Voluntary Disclosures (November 2018)
Terms and conditions
If you have trouble opening fillable PDF forms, see the form instructions.
- AT5400 - Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant Registration (PDF, 1.4 MB) (Mach 2017)
- AT5410 - Lloydminster Competitive Adjustment Grant Claim:
- AT4762 – Notice of Objection (PDF, 115 KB) (July 2017)
- AT4812 – Application for Direct Deposit (PDF, 174 KB) (April 2017)
Sign up for updates
To submit forms
Please note: forms cannot be sent through email. Complete and print your forms and bring, mail or fax them to:
Tax and Revenue Administration
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
9811 109 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2L5