More on this topic

Birth certificates and documents

Record of a registered birth.

Change a child's name without consent

How to change a child’s name if you can’t find the other party.

Change your name

How to legally change your name in Alberta.


Information and services related to the loss of a loved one.

Divorce and separation

Services and information are available for couples divorcing or separating – before, during and after.


Getting married in Alberta requires a marriage certificate, a marriage license and a marriage officiant present at the wedding. You can change your last name or keep it.

Register a birth

All births in Alberta must be registered with government.