Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The Lake Trout Working Group worked from September to December, 2022, to develop sportfishing regulatory options that support a sustainable lake trout population in Cold Lake.
The working group shared their experiences and knowledge about angling in Cold Lake, and helped develop sportfishing regulatory options for public engagement.
Cold Lake is a unique aquatic ecosystem and is an important contributor to the quality of life for local communities and the local and regional economy. After the collapse of the fishery in the 1940’s, Alberta's government has been working to recover the lake trout population. Recent index netting suggests that lake trout populations have increased to the point where new regulations can now be considered.
Results under review
Who is listening
Ministry of Environment and Protected Areas
The working group developed the following recommended regulatory options with government in December 2022.
Option 1: Maintain the current regulation (harvest of one lake trout greater than 75 cm)
Option 2: Slot size, harvest of one lake trout between 70 and 75 cm
Option 3: Slot size, harvest of one lake trout between 65 and 70 cm
We are gathering input from Albertans on proposed changes to sportfishing regulations that were developed by the Lake Trout Working Group with support of provincial biologists.
Share your feedback on the proposed changes through the 2023-24 Sportfishing regulations engagement until February 9, 2023.
Working group mandate
The Lake Trout Working Group supported the development of sportfishing regulatory options for lake trout in Cold Lake that best serve the needs of all lake users and meet the desired fisheries management objectives.
Working group members
The working group included representatives from:
- Beaver River Fish & Game
- City of Cold Lake
- Cold Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Cold Lake Fish and Game Club
- Municipal District of Bonnyville
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment
- Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation
- local angling guides (representing the guiding community)
- local angling expert with strong connections to the provincial community
- local angling community members
- Cold Lake Fact Sheet for the Working Group (PDF, 237 KB)
- Lake Trout Working Group for Cold Lake summary report
- Annual sportfishing regulation engagement fact sheet (PDF, 564 KB)
Email: [email protected]
Last updated: February 3, 2023