- Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
- Work Unit: Human Resources/Finance
- Ministry: Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner
- Competition Number: 1054883
Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, this position includes a blend of human resource administration and finance assistance for the OIPC, as well as numerous office support functions, including assistance for Senior Management and Communications, as required. The position provides administrative support and assistance to the contract Human Resource Advisor, which includes all the administrative responsibilities pertaining to pay and benefits, recruitment and staffing, classification, reconciliation of attendance and employee relations, and requires considerable contact with all parties to coordinate and complete requirements.
The position assists and is the back-up for the Finance Administrator/Office Manager, which includes reviewing, coding and filing invoices; reconciling petty cash, running various IMAGIS reports; reconciling accounts receivable; calculating GST; reviewing P-card transactions; reviewing journal vouchers; completing HR GL reconciliations and AP reconciliations; receiving supply orders; preparing bi-monthly disclosures, receiving water and other service deliveries; and performing other duties as requested by the Finance Administrator/Office Manager.
The position also relieves the front desk reception each day and as requested for absences. The position further provides back-up for the Commissioner’s assistant, which includes scheduling the Commissioner’s functions in a calendar and taking minutes at meetings. Additionally, the position assists Senior Management and the Communications Manager, as required.
Responsibilities and Activities
Provides administrative support for the contract Human Resource Advisor
- Scheduling meetings and interviews
- Preparing interview packages and materials for meetings
- Working on research projects related to various HR initiatives.
Coordinates HR Programs
Recognition/Long-Service Recognition Program:
- Running reports to identify recipients
- Coordinating ordering of gifts and plaques.
- Creating certificates for each recipient & letter from Human Resources depending on years of service
- Working with staff who are retiring to discuss the steps required i.e. Filling out PSPP or MEPP retirement forms, discussing directives regarding using up vacation leave prior to retiring, and options for benefits after retirement. Also providing employee options for gift selection for retirement, plaques, letters, etc.
- Plan and coordinate the employee onboarding program.
- Meet with new employees to review and complete benefit and commencement documents.
- Go through websites to orientate new employees to MyAgent, GoA), train them on On-Line Time Entry.
Coordinates HR Administration
Researching and resolving payroll issues:
- Main contact for payroll regarding issues such as Acting Pay, LTDI, ESRA, timesheet issues, pay, and all other payroll issues.
- Reviewing payroll for accuracy.
- Interpreting Master Agreement, Regulations and Acts for employees/line supervisors/managers as required.
On-line Time Administrator
- Give approval access to staff
- Send out reminders to All Staff to submit and approve time
- Run reports to ensure all exceptions are cleaned up
- Contact for ministry for information on how to enter /approve or correct time
IMAGIS HRMIS System Security and Reporting Coordinator:
- Retrieve information from the HRMS system to assist the HR Advisor in managing human resources and budgeting.
- Meet with clients to discuss their information requirements.
- Building and running reports using an on-line reporting tool.
- Ensure information/reports are accurate and relevant.
Assists and is the back-up for the Finance Administrator/Office Manager
- Reviewing, coding and filing invoices
- Reconciling petty cash
- Running various IMAGIS reports
- Reconciling accounts receivable
- Calculating GST
- Reviewing P-card transactions
- Reviewing journal vouchers
- Completing HR GL reconciliations and AP reconciliations
- Receiving supply orders
- Preparing bi-monthly disclosures
- Receiving water and other service deliveries
- Performing other duties as requested by the Finance Administrator/Office Manager
Provides back-up for the Commissioner’s assistant
- Scheduling and maintaining calendar
- Taking minutes at meetings
- Other duties, as required
Assists Senior Management and Communications Manager as required
- Assisting with event coordination, including managing registration and preparing event materials
- Distributing publications
- Other duties, as required
Provides relief for front desk reception
The incumbent needs to develop and maintain effective, constructive working relationships with staff at various levels within the OIPC and other Ministries as well as a variety of external contacts (DDB, Temp. Agencies and applicants).
Frequent contact with management and line staff in the delivery of human resource programming.
Administrative services include areas of programming, budgeting and forecasting.
Ensures that the administrative activities and resources of the OIPC are utilized appropriately to ensure that processes are in place for clients to receive their authorized benefits in a timely manner.
Position contact is primarily with Director, Legal Services.
Contacts may involve members of the HR Community and the public.
The position is responsible for providing all day-to-day operational support to the program areas. This position designs, implements and oversees all administrative support systems and processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Two year Diploma.
- Minimum of five years' senior administrative experience with a focus on HR, finance and general office administration.
- Position requires general knowledge of the Master and Subsidiary Agreements and GOA Human Resource Directives and Regulations, in order to provide services pertaining to recruitment and payroll services to staff and management within the OIPC.
- In-depth knowledge of IMAGIS HRMS.
- Knowledge of the OIPC’s mandate and Business Plan.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills - verbal and written, including consultation skills.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to exercise appropriate, professional judgment.
- Strong project management and process facilitation skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and think creatively.
- Research and analytical skills.
- Relationship building skills.
- Business, research, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access. Adobe Acrobat, IMAGIS, ARTS, HRMS, ExClaim, and the Internet and Visio.
- Proficiency with project management and program facilitation.
Position has regular contact with all staff to explain regulations, staffing and classification processes, and to exchange general information. Other contacts include: the public regarding status of application and questions regarding advertisements and temporary agency companies regarding filling temporary staffing needs. As well, this position has contact with a wide range of individuals within and outside the OIPC to provide information, resolve issues and to support HR branch needs and requirements.
This position is not supervisory.
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion Policy.