How to apply
Step 1. Before you apply
Read about how International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) works
Cost for one applicant
If you need more than one credential assessed, there are no additional charges, but it will take at least 4 weeks longer than average processing times.
- Application fee: $200
- Courier fees: $15 for a Canadian address; $75 for an international address
Cost for more than one applicant
Each applicant must apply separately and pay separate application and courier fees, even if applicants reside at the same household.
Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) application and courier fees are non-refundable.
An assessment does not guarantee:
- a job
- a successful application for immigration
- a licence to practice your profession
Exceptions for certain professions
If you are applying to immigrate as a Physician or Specialist Physician and intend to get a licence to practice in Canada, your qualifications must be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada.
If you are applying to immigrate as a Pharmacist and intend to get a licence to practice in Canada, your qualifications must be assessed by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.
In Canada, some occupations are regulated. Regulated occupations have legal requirements or restrictions in place to protect the public. To work in these occupations, in addition to getting an Educational Credential Assessment, later you will need to apply to and be assessed by the appropriate professional regulatory organization in the province or territory that you will settle in.
Step 2. Decide on credentials to be assessed
Credentials IQAS can assess
IQAS assesses completed or awarded formal academic and technical educational credentials from recognized institutions.
- An ECA will not be issued if your credentials cannot be authenticated or are from an educational institution or program that is not recognized. IQAS will let you know that your application has been cancelled.
- An ECA may not result in an outcome you want for an Express Entry application. Your credentials are compared to Canadian education standards, which can be different from those in the country where you were educated.
Find out about institution recognition.
IQAS does not assess:
- incomplete credentials
- anything below secondary or high school level (for example, primary or elementary level)
- non-academic credentials (for example, Excel training)
- professional qualifications (for example, chartered accountant designation)
- vocational or trades training (for example, diesel mechanics program)
- credentials obtained in Canada
In addition, IQAS does not let you know if your credentials/institution will be recognized, or the results of your assessment before you apply. This can only be determined after you apply and an assessment is completed.
Credentials you need assessed
For an ECA, only your highest completed or awarded educational credential needs to be assessed. If you need more than one credential to be assessed, it will take at least 4 weeks longer than average processing times. To understand how points are assigned for education and make an informed decision, visit the Government of Canada website. IQAS does not provide any advice on which credentials you should submit for an assessment.
Step 3. Gather your documents
- Do not send original documents unless required.
- IQAS is not responsible for original documents that are not required and will not return them if submitted and not required.
- IQAS does not return notarized or certified copies of documents or transcripts.
- Prepare clear and readable scans or digital photos to upload with your online application of your identification, proof of name change (if applicable) and all educational credentials (degrees or diplomas) for the education you want to have assessed.
- When submitting your online application, you may upload required documents at the ‘Document Checklist’ section.
- Please name your uploads clearly and ensure you are matching the upload to the applicable document on the checklist
- If you forget or do not upload a required document, you will be contacted when the application is reviewed for completeness
- For Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees, upload a clear scan or photo of the PhD degree and cover page of the thesis.
- For information on providing specific educational documents, carefully review Country-Specific Document Requirements (PDF, 870 KB):
- if your country is listed, provide the documents indicated based on the credentials you want assessed
- if your country is not listed, provide the documents as described in Step 4 below
Translations are required for all non-English educational documents:
- translations for uploaded documents must be also uploaded
- translations need to be completed by a qualified professional translator who does not need to be certified in Canada
- translations do not need to be certified or notarized
Step 4. Provide original or verifiable transcripts
- Official transcripts or mark sheets must be provided for all credentials you are asking to be assessed. Follow instructions specific to your country provided in the Country-Specific Document Requirements (PDF, 829 KB) as not all the below methods are available for all countries.
- In general, transcripts can be provided using one of the following methods:
- Electronic transcripts: You can use this method if your responsible issuing authority:
- issues electronic transcripts
- makes transcripts available online and shareable through secure websites, or
- offers access to direct electronic verification of your transcripts or studies.
- Refer to detailed instructions in the Country-Specific Document Requirements provided above.
- Transcripts mailed by an Issuing Authority: If your responsible issuing authority can mail or courier original transcripts, you and the issuing authority must use the Request of Academic Records Form (PDF, 70 KB) to prepare and send your original transcripts directly to IQAS. Refer to detailed instructions in the Country-Specific Document Requirements provided above.
- Transcripts sent by mail or courier must be attested, dated and placed in a sealed envelope that is stamped with the institution’s official seal across the back flap.
- Transcripts mailed by an Applicant: If your issuing authority cannot mail or courier transcripts directly, you may mail or courier the sealed envelope with your official transcripts to IQAS. Refer to detailed instructions in the Country-Specific Document Requirements provided above.
- The transcripts must be attested, dated and placed in a sealed envelope that is stamped with the institution’s official seal across the back flap. You cannot open the envelope. You must ensure your file number is clearly marked/identified with your transcript or we may not be able to assess the application.
International Qualifications Assessment Service
C/O Service Alberta Mailroom – Commerce Place
10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Step 5. Complete the online application
- Complete and submit the online application using the IQAS application portal. IQAS offers different assessments. Be sure you request the correct assessment and submit the correct fees, as assessments for employment, education and licensure cannot be used to apply for Immigration to Canada.
- Make sure your application is complete. The following documents must be uploaded in the portal using clear and legible colour scan or digital photo of all pages of original documents:
- the completed academic credentials you want to have assessed
- passport identity pages or alternative government-issued identification (if passport is unavailable)
- proof of name change (needed only if your current name is different than the name on the educational documents)
- translations for all non-English documents you are uploading
- While filling in the online form, you will be asked to pay the application fees.
- Payment options include:
- Visa, MasterCard
- American Express
- Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) application and courier fees are non-refundable.
- Payment options include:
- Do not use an international P.O. Box number as part of your mailing address, because couriers will not deliver to that type of address.
- After you submit your online application, you will receive:
- an email from IQAS with your file number (you need this number for your Request of Academic Records form) and a final PDF version of your application, and
- an email containing your payment receipt (only if you paid online)
- Print the payment receipt for your records.
If you applied before November 5, 2019, you must ensure that you have printed, signed (in ink) and mailed or couriered IQAS your paper application form. If you applied on or after November 5, 2019, you do not need to print, sign and send your paper application form to IQAS. As of November 5, 2019, applicants sign their form electronically as part of submitting the application.
After you apply
If your mailing address is in Canada, IQAS will mail your documents to a Canada Post Office near you. You will receive a Delivery Notice Card from Canada Post letting you know that your package is available for pick up. Canada Post keeps packages for 15 business days. You will need to collect your package on time and show proper identification.
If your mailing address is outside of Canada, your package will be delivered directly to your address.
Making changes to or cancelling your application
To make or request changes to your application, login to the IQAS application portal:
- if you applied before November 26, 2018, login and create a portal account
- if you applied after November 26, 2018, login using your username
If IQAS needs more information
If IQAS needs any additional documents or information, you will be contacted by email, phone or mail.
If IQAS cannot complete your assessment
If IQAS cannot complete the assessment based on documentation submitted, you may be contacted for further information or your application may be cancelled. IQAS will let you know if your application has been cancelled.
Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) application and courier fees are non-refundable. If you cancel your application, IQAS will not provide a refund.
Request a duplicate certificate
- Duplicate certificates are only issued for a previously completed assessment at cost of $15 per copy, plus a $5 courier fee per mailing address.
- To request an additional copy of your IQAS certificate, login to the IQAS application portal:
- Your ECA is valid for Express Entry purposes for 5 years from the date it was issued.
Reassessment or appeal process
If you are not satisfied with your assessment, you may send a request for reassessment in writing to the IQAS office.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of reassessment, you can appeal in writing. You will need to pay a $75 appeal fee.
Written requests for reassessment and appeal must be submitted within 1 year of the original date of assessment.
What affects processing time
- ECA application processing times are affected by a multi-step process.
- Processing time starts when your supporting documents have been provided to IQAS.
- An ECA application with more than one credential will take at least 4 weeks longer than average processing times.
- Assessment of applications that require extensive research takes longer than the average processing time.
- On average, an assessment takes about 14 weeks to process once all required documents, transcripts and payments are delivered to IQAS. Times are not guaranteed and may change based on the number of applications. IQAS receives a very high volume of applications.
- IQAS does not rush ECA applications. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
- Courier or mail delivery time is not included in the processing time.
You can track delivery of your mail to IQAS through your courier.
Monitor the status of your application in the IQAS application portal:
- if you applied before November 26, 2018, login and create a portal account
- if you applied after November 26, 2018, login here using your username
You will see the following statuses in the portal:
|Status||What it means|
|Submitted||You completed an online application and made online payment|
|Received||Your online application package and transcripts have been matched|
|Payment pending||Your online payment was not successful|
|Pending||IQAS is waiting for required documents or payments|
|In line for processing||All documents needed to start your assessment have been received|
|Assessing||Your credentials are being assessed|
|On hold||Your assessment cannot be completed until IQAS receives and logs additional documents, confirmation from educational institution etc.|
|Final Review||Your credential has been assessed and is being validated|
|Mailed||Your assessment was mailed to you and an electronic copy is available at the IQAS application portal|
|Cancellation pending||You requested a cancellation and it is waiting to be processed|
|Cancelled||Your application was cancelled following your request or because assessment could not be completed|
Connect with the International Qualifications Assessment Service:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.