Investing in infrastructure
Building the roads, transit, schools and other facilities needed to support the economy and create jobs.
As the economy recovers and capital spending returns to more normal levels, continued and strategic investment is critical to promoting growth and employment opportunities in communities across Alberta.
2018 Capital plan highlights
We're investing $26.6 billion over the next 5 years to build and maintain the infrastructure Alberta’s families and communities need.
- $6.9 billion in municipal infrastructure support
- $5.4 billion for capital maintenance and renewal
- $4.6 billion for health infrastructure
- $3.3 billion for roads and bridges
- $2.2 billion for schools
- $2.1 billion for climate change and environmental sustainability
- $641 million for post-secondary institutes
- $524 million for family, social supports and housing
- $449 million for agriculture, natural resources and industry
- $406 million for public safety and emergency Services
- $211 million for sports, arts, recreation and culture
In addition, the Government of Canada has committed to a significant new investment in Canada’s infrastructure.
Alberta is working with Canada’s federal government to ensure federal investment in Alberta infrastructure promotes diversification and job creation as quickly as possible.