COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Applications for this grant program are now closed.
The $80-million Industrial Energy Efficiency and Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (IEE CCUS) Grant Program is part of a $750-million investment of the Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) fund.
The IEE CCUS will help Alberta’s large industrial emitters:
- reduce emissions
- increase competitiveness
- lower carbon compliance costs
- improve energy efficiency through technology and equipment upgrades
The IEE CCUS Grant Program targets improvements at facilities that are regulated, or eligible to be regulated, by the Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction Regulation.
Successful applicants are eligible to receive 75% of project costs, up to a maximum of $20 million.
Facilities must be regulated or eligible to be regulated under the TIER Regulation to be eligible for funding. If an applicant were to propose a new facility as part of its project, that facility would have to be eligible for regulation under the TIER Regulation.
There is no minimum or maximum total project cost eligibility requirement. Existing projects are eligible; however, grant funding cannot be used towards retroactive project costs. Total grant and award funding from all external sources cannot exceed 85% of total project costs.
Only emissions reductions that are regulated under TIER are eligible for funding.
For information about eligible expenses under the IEE CCUS Grant Program, refer to: Eligible Expenses Guidelines (PDF, 563 KB).
How to apply
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Step 1. Download, review and complete the application form
- Industrial Energy Efficiency and Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage Grant Program Application Form (PDF, 168 KB).
The grant application form has been revised to correct the units for the cogeneration electricity emissions intensity formula on page 3 note (3) from megawatts to megawatt-hours. If you have already begun filling in the previous version of the application form, please note the revision and incorporate accordingly, but there is no need to re-complete the form.
Applications are open from September 22, 2020 to October 30, 2020.
Step 2. Submit the application form
Email the completed form to: [email protected].
After you apply
Project applications will be evaluated against a set of five major criteria including:
- Meets the program alignment and application requirements.
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Benefits industry competitiveness.
- Benefits job creation, environmental and social governance outcomes, and economic resilience.
- Represents project strength demonstrated by short timelines for implementation and job creation, and the use of additional funding sources or internal capital.
Successful applicants will be notified in late 2020 to early 2021.
Connect with the Industrial Energy Efficiency and Carbon Capture and Utilization Program:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.