An exemption from participating in the Ignition Interlock Program may be granted when it is not feasible to comply with the requirements program. If you are approved for an exemption, the Registrar may impose a further period of disqualification or another term or condition to ensure public safety.
Financial constraints, vehicle inaccessibility and occupational hardships will not be considered.
Before applying for an exemption
Before an exemption request for a medical condition can be fully evaluated, you will need to complete the following steps in this order:
Step 1. Contact Smart Start to complete practical testing using the ignition interlock device
- Contact Smart Start at 1-844-432-4776 to schedule your free practical testing.
- Smart Start modifies and adjusts the breath pressure settings on the ignition interlock device to determine if a successful breath sample can be achieved.
- The testing will be completed through a variety of methods to ensure accuracy and validity.
- Once the testing is complete, Smart Start will forward the test results to our office to attach to your motor vehicle file.
Step 2. Provide us with signed correspondence
Verify your medical condition with your physician along with medical test results that supports your physical inability to participate in the Ignition Interlock Program.
Processing time for exemption requests is 6 to 8 weeks.
How to apply
To apply for an exemption, prepare the following documentation:
- A written request for medical exemption.
- Signed correspondence from your physician verifying your medical condition along with proof of medical testing supporting your physical incapacity or incapability to participate.
- Complete the assessment documentation from our service provider (Practical testing on the ignition interlock device).
- Other relevant documents to support the request for exemption.
Send the request for exemption package to:
Driver Fitness and Monitoring
Email: [email protected]
Suite 109, 4999 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Before an exemption request for a medical condition can be fully evaluated, you will need to submit all the information listed above. Should we not receive all documentation, your request will not be considered.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.