The Construction Performance Guide for New Home Warranty in Alberta is one of a number of resources created to support the implementation of the New Home Buyer Protection Act by providing information and guidance to the general public, as well as homeowners, home buyers, builders, warranty providers, and other stakeholders involved in the construction and sale of homes.
The introductory sections of the Guide summarize key aspects of the legislation, and the bulk of the Guide catalogs issues commonly discovered in the first few years of the life of a home. The Guide indicates whether an issue can be defined as a defect under the legislation and explains the actions homeowners can expect warranty providers and builders to take to resolve those defects. The New Home Buyer Protection Office has produced this guide in order to ensure that homeowners, builders, and warranty providers alike clearly understand their rights and responsibilities under the terms of the New Home Buyer Protection Act.
The first version of the Construction Performance Guide for New Home Warranty in Alberta was made available on December 17, 2014. A revised version of the Guide was released on September 1, 2015. A revision summary for the September 2015 edition can be found here.
Printable PDFs of the Guide, as well as individual chapters, can be downloaded below:
- Construction Performance Guide for New Home Warranty in Alberta(PDF, 1.48 MB)
- Chapter 1: Exterior Elements / Site Work
- Chapter 2: Concrete
- Chapter 3: Masonry and Manufactured Stone
- Chapter 4: Carpentry / Framing
- Chapter 5: Carpentry / Finish
- Chapter 6: Doors and Windows
- Chapter 7: Finishes / Exterior
- Chapter 8: Finishes / Interior
- Chapter 9: Gypsum Wallboard
- Chapter 10: Flooring / Resilient
- Chapter 11: Flooring / Hardwood
- Chapter 12: Flooring / Carpet
- Chapter 13: Flooring / Laminate
- Chapter 14: Tile and General Flooring Issues
- Chapter 15: Roofing
- Chapter 16: Fireplaces / Plumbing / Electrical
- Chapter 17: Interior Climate Control
- Chapter 18: Multi-Unit
Questions about the Guide can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To connect with Municipal Affairs Public Safety Division: