- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
Highway 19 is a 12-kilometre, 2-lane, high-volume, high load corridor connecting Highway 60 and Highway 2 near Edmonton. It is a critical route that supports continued economic growth in the capital region.
Costs for the Highway 19 East improvement are being shared between:
- Alberta Transportation (72% )
- Remington Development Corporation (26%)
- Edmonton Regional Airports Authority (2%)
The $25-million Highway 19 East Project runs from km marker 9.8 to km marker 12.2.
- expansion from 2 to 6 lanes
- realignment of the Airport Perimeter Road (42 Street)
- lighting and traffic signals being installed at the 42 Street and 34 Street intersections
The new traffic signals and additional highway lanes will improve safety at these intersections for current and future traffic volumes.
An environmental impact assessment has been completed for the East Project. All environmental standards and requirements are being met.
Traffic disruptions are mainly limited to speed reductions that ensure the safety of motorists and construction crews.
The Highway 2 north service road (Range Road 251B) from Highway 19 to Township Road 510 is closed during construction. Landowners and local traffic can access the properties along this section of road from Township Road 510. All other traffic must detour onto Range Road 252 for access to Highway 19.
A permanent access route will connect Range Road 251B to Highway 19.
See a map of traffic closures and detours (PDF, 174 KB). For current road conditions, visit:
Construction began in June 2017 and is substantially complete. Most of the improvements are open to traffic.
Remaining work will be completed in summer 2019.
These improvements will help:
- improve traffic safety
- reduce congestion and delay
- expand the highway’s capacity
- accommodate current and future growth
For more information on the Highway 19 East Improvement Project, contact Alberta Transportation’s North Central Region Office:
North Central Region
4513 62 Avenue
Barrhead, Alberta T7N 1A5