Infrastructure works with Alberta Health and Alberta Health Services (AHS) to design and build health facilities that will meet the needs of a growing Alberta.
Additional information about health facilities is available at Alberta Health.
Calgary Cancer Centre
Construction of the Calgary Cancer Centre was completed in December 2022 and is anticipated to open to the public in 2024.
This project was an economic driver in Calgary:
- creating approximately 8,770 well-paying construction and construction-related jobs
- generating approximately 8 million work hours to complete the construction of the facility
The new centre covers approximately 186,000 square meters (over 2 million square feet) and has:
- 13 above-grade levels
- 5 levels of underground parking (1654 parking stalls)
Services to be delivered at the Calgary Cancer Centre are based on clinical priorities that AHS identifies and include:
- outpatient cancer clinics
- 160 inpatient unit beds
- wet and dry research labs
- clinical and operational support services
- clinical trials unit and research laboratories
- systemic and radiation treatment services, including 15 radiation vaults
- new on-site underground parking with 1,650 stalls
Learn more about the Calgary Cancer Centre.
Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood (Edmonton)
Construction on phase 1 of the Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood redevelopment project is almost complete, with the main building expected to open to the public in fall 2023.
The next steps on the project include:
- renovation of the Angus McGuggan building
- demolition of the North Pavilion building and CHOICE day centre
Learn more about the Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood redevelopment project.
Misericordia Community Hospital
The construction of the new Misericordia Community Hospital emergency department is in its final stages and is anticipated to be handed over to Covenant Health in spring 2023. Covenant Health will then work on preparing the emergency department, which includes installing furniture and medical equipment, and conducting staff orientation.
Covenant Health anticipates that the new emergency department will open to the public in fall 2023. Once operational, the new emergency department will include:
- 5,000 square metres of space (an increase from 1,700 square metres)
- 6 ambulance bays (up from 4)
- 66 treatment spaces (an increase from 26)
- 2 radiology rooms
- 6 isolation rooms (an increase from one)
- 16 acute care spaces (an increase from 12)
- a decontamination suite
Learn more about the Misericordia Community Hospital’s new emergency department.
Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre
Planning is on schedule for the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre redevelopment. This project is anticipated to move into the design phase in spring 2023.
Once completed, this project will upgrade several services throughout the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre, including:
- renovations to various areas within the main building
- the addition of an inpatient tower
- a new ambulatory clinics building
The expansion will also increase the number of beds on site from 370 to 570 (an additional 200 beds).
Learn more about the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre’s redevelopment.
Foothills Medical Centre: Power Plant Upgrade and Cogeneration Initiative Newsletter
Please use the following form to add your email address to our mailing list.
You can also use the form to unsubscribe from the email list if you no longer wish to receive our emails.
The personal information collected through Foothills Medical Centre Power Plant Upgrade project site may be used for the purpose of providing you with updates on the Foothills Medical Centre Power Plant Upgrade & Cogeneration Initiative.
This personal information collection is authorized under section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you may contact the Foothills Medical Centre Power Plant Upgrade Project Team at 1-877-236-1698, [email protected] or you may write to:
2010 Veterans Way NW
Calgary, AB T3B 3R7
Alberta Infrastructure project information:
Email: [email protected]
6950 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5V7
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.