If you have a family member who was a victim of homicide in Alberta, you can get:

  • reimbursement for funeral related expenses, up to a maximum amount
  • immediate access to grief counselling

Who can apply

  • Funeral expense reimbursement

    You can apply for funeral expense reimbursement if you:

    • paid all or part of the funeral costs for a victim who passed away as a result of a Criminal Code offence in Alberta
    • have receipts to verify all expenses
  • Grief counselling

    Immediate access to grief counselling is available for:

    • immediate family members of a homicide victim (up to $1,000 per person)
    • extended family members (up to $1,000 per person for a maximum group total of $4,000)

What you can get

  • Funeral expense reimbursement

    The person(s) who paid for funeral expenses can get reimbursed for expenses up to $12,500.

  • Eligible expenses

    • Funeral service
    • Cemetery plot/niche
    • Interment
    • Embalming
    • Clergy/officiating persons’ honorarium
    • Flowers
    • Appropriate obituary notices
    • Casket/urn
    • Opening/closing charges
    • Headstone
    • Cremation
    • Musician’s honorarium
    • Transportation of remains
    • Death certificate(s)
    • Crime scene clean-up (please contact the program)
  • Ineligible expenses

    • Alcohol
    • Travel costs of survivors to attend the funeral/final resting site
    • Estate administration
    • Legal expenses
  • Grief counselling

    You can access counselling by either accessing:

    • counselling from our contracted vendor, who will invoice the program directly, or
    • a counsellor of your choice, then submitting the receipts to the program for reimbursement

How to apply

PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

  • Step 1. Fill out the form

    You do not have to wait for a charge or conviction to apply, but the incident must first be reported to a police agency.

  • Step 2. Submit the completed application

    Submit the completed application to the Victims of Crime Assistance Program.


Connect with the Victims Assistance Program:

Phone: 780-427-7217
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-4213
Email: [email protected]

Victims of Crime Assistance Program
10th Floor, 10365 97 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3W7

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.