Access your account information online
As of October 3, 2022, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) will no longer be processing phone or email requests for basic account information.
Account owners or their representatives can access most of the information related to their account in Tax and Revenue Administration Client Self-Service (TRACS) portal. Currently accessible information includes:
- installment balances
- financial or assessment details
- statement of accounts
- copies of Notice of (Re)Assessments.
More information about services offered in TRACS is available at alberta.ca.
Complete the TRACS Enrolment Request to enrol in TRACS. See TRACS for instructions.
COVID-19 response: TRA's online services and special notices
Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) encourages taxpayers to use electronic means (for example: Netfile, TRACS, secure email, electronic payment, etc.) to submit payments, registrations, applications, returns, claims, objections, waivers and appeals.
In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.
For more information, see TRA online services.
In Alberta, aviation fuel is any fuel that is refined or produced specifically for use in an aircraft.
Foreign commercial carriers on international flights originating in Alberta are exempt from the fuel tax at the time of sale.
Commercial carriers that do not qualify for the up-front exemption may qualify and apply for a rebate after a sale.
Commercial carriers may apply to Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) for a rebate of fuel tax for flights that do not meet the up-front exemption, but where one of the following situations occurs:
- international flights of domestic carriers
- international flights that have a stopover elsewhere in Canada
- international charter and other non-scheduled flights
There is no registration requirement for international commercial rebates.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
How to register
For detailed step by step instructions, see:
- How to complete the Fuel Tax registration (video) – February 2022
- Fuel Tax Registration Instruction Guide (PDF, 896 KB) – November 2021
Step 1. Create or log in to your MyAlberta Digital ID account
- Create a basic account or log in to MyAlberta.
Log in to MyAlberta Digital ID
Step 2: Sign in and select Online Registration
- After you create a MyAlberta Digital ID account, login to TRACS. You will need to sign in using your MyAlberta Digital Identity user name and password. Once you log in, you will be redirected to TRACS.
- Select 'Online Registration'.
- Select ‘Fuel Tax’ from the Program Name menu.
Step 3. Complete and submit the online registration form
- After you submit your registration, you will receive a pending status notification and a reference number. TRA may need to contact you for further information.
Step 4: Once approved
- You will be notified by email that your approval letter is available in your TRACS account.
How to apply for a rebate
An application for a Aviation Fuel Tax Rebate cannot be filed later than 3 years after the end of the calendar year aviation fuel was purchased.
Step 1: Fill out the application form
- Complete the Aviation Fuel Tax Rebate application (AT393) (PDF, 277 KB).
Step 2: Submit your application
- Submit your completed Aviation Fuel Tax Rebate application to TRA.
Step 3: Receive your rebate
- Receive your refund by direct deposit or cheque. If there were changes made to your claim, a letter of assessment will be mailed to you.
How to set up direct deposit
- Complete an Application for Direct Deposit (AT4812) (PDF, 174 KB).
- Submit the form to TRA along with a copy of a “VOID” blank cheque.
- Funds will only be deposited into one bank account.
Publications and forms
These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.
- TRA-1R2 – Introduction to Tax and Revenue Administration – December 2021
- TRA-2 – TRA Fairness and Service Pledge – July 2018
- TRA-3 – Alberta Commodity Tax Acts – Voluntary Disclosures – November 2018
- AV-1R1 – Aviation Fuel Tax – International Flights – December 2020
If you have trouble opening fillable PDF forms, see the form instructions.
- AT393 – Aviation Fuel Tax Rebate Application (PDF, 277 KB) – July 2012
- AT4762 – Notice of Objection – December 2020
- AT4764 – Request for a Waiver of Penalties and Interest (PDF, 854 KB) – October 2021
- AT4812 – Application for Direct Deposit (PDF, 174 KB) – April 2017
- How to complete the Fuel Tax registration – February 2022
Sign up for updates
Subscribe to TRA's publications and announcements
Complete your forms and email or fax them to:
Email: [email protected]
Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
Other programs administered by Tax and Revenue Administration
Information for sellers of aviation fuel
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.