Focus on Communication in Separation (FOCIS) course
How to communicate effectively with your child’s other parent or guardian when you don’t live together.
This course is for parents or guardians who are living apart.
You take it voluntarily and separately from the other party.
Course topics include:
- how parenting conflict impacts a child’s listening skills
- definitions of conflict
- using questions, paraphrases and summarizing techniques
- conflict styles and the conflict cycle
- how mindsets affect perceptions and responses to events
- anger triggers
- how perceptions affect misunderstandings and communications
- how to better express your feelings
This 6-hour course is available in:
- Fort McMurray
- Grande Prairie
- Medicine Hat
- Red Deer
For more information, read the Focus on communication in separation (FOCIS) fact sheet and the parenting after separation fact sheet.
Please note that the only programs approved and supported by the Government of Alberta are Parenting After Separation (PAS), Parenting After Separation for Families in High Conflict (PASHC) and Focus on Communication in Separation (FOCIS)
To register, email, call or register online at the location where you want to take the course.