Mould spores are often invisible, and can cause long-term illness. Symptoms include persistent headaches, sudden nosebleeds or colds. Mould is identifiable by signs of brown, grey or black growth on surfaces. Not all mould damage is visible.
- Wear a dust mask and disposable gloves.
- Dispose of all:
- insulation material
- box springs
- stuffed toys
- cushions and
- furniture coverings that show signs of mould
- Freeze important textiles and documents until you have time to treat them.
Plastic and hardwood items may be saved. Let wet mould dry, then brush it off outdoors and disinfect. Washable items can also be saved. Disinfect by lightly misting each item with a cleaner (for example, rubbing alcohol or chlorine bleach – use one part cleaner to 4 parts water).