24-hour help

Family violence is a crime – Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.

Call the Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818 to get help anonymously in more than 170 languages.

Help – online chat or helplines

Online chat

Available 24 hours a day in English only. Chat anonymously with trained staff.

Begin online chat

How it works

  1. Go to the online chat link.
  2. Enter your information and click ‘Start’.
  3. Watch for a pop-up window to know when the next chat staff is available.
  4. When you see a message in the chat window, enter your message.

Things to know

  • English only
  • average chat session is 30 minutes
  • set your Internet browser to private mode for a more secure chat
  • there may be long wait times
  • use a desktop computer for a faster and more stable connection
  • if you lose your chat connection, log in again or call 310-1818 (Family Violence Info Line)
  • after you finish, click ‘End chat’ before closing your browser


If you suspect someone is experiencing family violence or abuse, phone the:

  • Abuse Helpline: 1-855-443-5722 for information on supports related to physical, sexual, emotional, mental abuse, exploitation or neglect. Help is available 24/7 in multiple languages.
  • Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-387-KIDS (5437) to get help if you, or children you know, are being neglected, abused or sexually exploited. If you believe a child is at risk, you must report it. Help is available in multiple languages.
  • Sexual Violence One Line: Call or text 1-866-403-8000 from 9 am to 9 pm daily for confidential support.
  • Protection for Persons in Care Reporting Line: 1-888-357-9339 – to report the abuse of an adult receiving care or support services from public funded service providers such as:
    • hospitals
    • seniors’ lodges
    • nursing homes
    • mental health facilities
    • shelters
    • group homes
    • addictions treatment centres
    • other supportive living settings

Health helplines

  • Mental Health Helpline: 1-877-303-2642 – for mental health advice 24/7
  • HealthLink: Call 811 – to find health care and get health advice 24/7

Financial help and supports

  • Safer Spaces Certificate – if you are living with domestic violence and need to break your rental lease without paying a penalty
  • Victims of Crime Financial Benefits program – if you were a victim of a crime in Alberta that you reported to police you may be eligible for an injury, witness or death benefit
  • Payment for out-of-pocket expenses related to a crime – if you apply for restitution to have the offender pay these costs

Other supports


Sexual assault services

  • Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence if you need help finding sexual assault support services (9 am to 9 pm daily):

Victim services and legal supports

Clare’s Law

If you feel at risk of domestic violence, you may be able to apply under Clare’s Law to get information about a partner so you can make an informed choice about your safety.

Indigenous supports

Pet safety

Your rights and the law

Alberta’s Protection Against Family Violence Act  protects abused family members of all ages, whether they live together or apart. This includes:

  • couples who are married, common-law, separated or divorced who may have children together or not
  • parents who have not resided together
  • birth, adopted, foster and step-children
  • adults who live together and one person has legal care and custody over the other

A victim of family violence, domestic violence and abuse has a right to:

  • be free and safe from violence
  • be treated with courtesy, compassion and respect
  • get information about their legal rights
  • press charges for criminal actions
  • have the maximum protection from abuse permitted by law including restraining or protection orders
  • get help from community resources

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.