Status: The call for submissions closed on February 8, 2019.
Ministry responsible: Energy
The Alberta government has issued a Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEOI) to determine private sector interest in building or expanding a refinery in Alberta to use more Alberta heavy oil.
The objectives of the government of Alberta for the RFEOI include the following:
- maximize the value to the province’s energy resources by diversifying them into products in high demand in desirable markets
- minimize risks to Albertans
- accelerate projects with significant proponent and stakeholder support and viable business plans
- mitigate challenges in accessing tidewater and other markets for liquids
The government will explore detailed information from proponents who express interest in meeting the government’s goals and assess their plans.
How it works
If an EOI does not meet the minimum eligibility requirements, it will not be considered for review. The proposals will be screened based on the nine submission criteria set out in the RFEOI document.
The results of the EOI will inform next steps, which may include issuing a Request for Proposals for the construction of a refinery.
How to submit
Review the submission guidelines for information on eligibility criteria, review criteria with suggested guidelines and general submission requirements.
- Request for Expressions of Interest – Submission Guidelines (PDF, 188 KB)
- Request for Expressions of Interest – Clarifications (PDF, 54 KB)
Submissions must be received no later than 4:30 pm Mountain Time on February 8, 2019.
After you submit
Submissions will be reviewed by an internal committee.
The internal committee will provide recommendations to the Minister of Energy and next steps, such as a Request for Proposals for a refinery or refinery and affiliated infrastructure project, may be announced.
Premier seeking industry interest in oil refining (December 11, 2018)