Employment standards permits issued prior to January 1, 2018
Employment Standards permits issued before January 1, 2018 will continue to be valid for a period of time.
The legislation on this page is now in effect
For information on Employment Standards legislation that was in force until December 31, 2017, go to https://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards-2017.html
- Permits issued prior to January 1, 2018 will continue to be valid until the earlier of:
- January 1, 2019
- date of expiry stated on the permit
- Most permits are now called variances - aside from youth employment permits
- If permit holders want to apply for a variance, they’re encouraged to start the application process well in advance of the expiry of their permit
- Overtime banking extension permits are no longer issued.
- The banking period has been extended to 6 months without a permit and no further extensions are allowed.
Disclaimer: In the event of any discrepancy between this information and Alberta Employment Standards legislation, the legislation is considered correct.
Contact or sign up for updates
Sign up for Employment Standards updates
If you want to get email alerts when new information or resources become available, sign up by emailing NewESinfo@gov.ab.ca.