Articles written by Minister Sonya Savage and Associate Minister Dale Nally
A message from Dale Nally, Associate Minister of Natural Gas and Electricity
- Alberta has the third largest proven oil reserves in the world – 10% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2017, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 19%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producer in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 300 years.
- Manages and develops policy for the development of province's resources
- Grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- Establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- Oversees a reliable and affordable electricity system for Albertans
- Encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
Thousands of Albertans are working on KXL. Backed by Alberta’s $1.5 billion investment, the pipeline is expected to be operational by 2023.
A new 10-year grant program will attract investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, helping to diversify the economy and create jobs.
Red tape reduction
Completed red tape reduction initiatives include eliminating departmental review of oilsand scheme approvals and simplifying processes for electricity and natural gas advertising.
Land titles, mineral and surface rights, Energy news, bulletins and other energy services.
Alberta’s electricity system
The reversal of the capacity market and elimination of the regulated rate cap on electricity helps to restore investor confidence in Alberta’s electricity system.
- Aug 28, 2020
Associate Minister of Natural Gas and Electricity Dale Nally issued the following statement on the Alberta Electric System Operator’s (AESO) Pricing Framework Recommendations to the Minister:
- Aug 26, 2020
Government has appointed Karl Johannson as chair of the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) board of directors.
- Aug 07, 2020
Alberta will enter into an agreement with three other provinces to explore emerging, small-scale nuclear technology that could lower emissions and help diversify the energy sector.