COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Sometimes more has to be said on a topic than what goes into a news release. These articles share more about what the minister or their ministry is doing.
- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 10% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producer in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 300 years.
- Manages and develops policy for the development of province's resources
- Grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- Establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- Oversees a reliable and affordable electricity system for Albertans
- Encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
Alberta’s budget is focused on protecting lives and livelihoods, investing in health care, preparing for recovery and spending responsibly.
A new 10-year grant program will attract investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, helping to diversify the economy and create jobs.
Red tape reduction
Completed red tape reduction initiatives include eliminating departmental review of oilsand scheme approvals and simplifying processes for electricity and natural gas advertising.
Land titles, mineral and surface rights, Energy news, bulletins and other energy services.
Alberta’s electricity system
The reversal of the capacity market and elimination of the regulated rate cap on electricity helps to restore investor confidence in Alberta’s electricity system.
- Aug 11, 2021
Minister of Energy Sonya Savage issued the following statement in response to the White House calling on OPEC+ to boost oil production:
- Jul 30, 2021
Minister of Energy Sonya Savage issued the following statement on the public inquiry’s final report into the foreign funding of campaigns targeting Canada’s oil and gas sector:
- Jul 20, 2021
Minister of Energy Sonya Savage issued the following statement in response to the launch of the federal government’s ‘Just Transition’ engagement process: