Minister Sonya Savage
Sonya Savage was sworn in as Minister of Energy and Deputy House Leader on April 30, 2019.
Parliamentary Secretary Searle Turton
Searle Turton was appointed parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Energy on November 23, 2021. He has also served as the private sector union liaison for the Ministry of Labour and Immigration since May 7, 2020.
- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 9% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producers in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 300 years.
- Manages and develops policy for the development of province's resources
- Grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- Establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- Oversees a reliable and affordable electricity system for Albertans
- Encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
Budget 2022 is moving Alberta forward by building health system capacity, getting more Albertans working, and balancing the budget.
A new 10-year grant program will attract investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, helping to diversify the economy and create jobs.
Red tape reduction
Completed red tape reduction initiatives include eliminating departmental review of oilsand scheme approvals and simplifying processes for electricity and natural gas advertising.
Land titles, mineral and surface rights, Energy news, bulletins and other energy services.
Alberta’s electricity system
The reversal of the capacity market and elimination of the regulated rate cap on electricity helps to restore investor confidence in Alberta’s electricity system.
- Aug 03, 2022
Three MLAs will attend an international conference to discuss North America’s energy system and promote Alberta’s energy sector.
- Jul 18, 2022
Minister of Environment and Parks Whitney Issik and Minister of Energy Sonya Savage issued the following statement on the federal discussion paper on capping oil and gas emissions:
- Jul 08, 2022
Minister of Energy Sonya Savage issued the following statement at the 2022 Energy and Mines Ministers’ Conference in St. John’s, N.L.: