COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on January 1, 2018 between:
- Alberta Transportation
- the Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association (ARHCA)
- Consulting Engineers of Alberta (CEA)
The MoU is intended to help:
- reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) and criteria air contaminant (CAC) emissions from road construction and maintenance
- ensure Alberta’s highway network is resilient to climate changes
A Greening Maintenance and Construction (GMC) Task Group is responsible for implementing the MoU’s objectives and responsibilities.
The task group consists of Alberta Transportation, ARHCA and CEA representatives who work collaboratively to:
- reduce GHG and CAC emissions through government policy or other means
- build climate resilience into the transportation system
- educate industry sectors about adopting emission reduction measures
The GMC Task Group’s work includes:
- building on past work completed as a result of previous MoUs
- developing energy efficiency and emissions reduction education materials for MoU members
- increasing awareness among ARHCA and CEA members of tools that can help assess transportation infrastructure vulnerabilities to extreme weather events and future climate changes
- creating GHG baselines in the provincial road and bridge construction and maintenance sectors, and measuring GHG reduction progress
- supporting the development and implementation of tools, techniques, guidelines and policies to help decrease GHG and CAC emissions from road and bridge construction and maintenance projects
- establishing ways to build climate resilience into road and bridge construction and maintenance
The group meets:
- quarterly to establish areas of mutual interest and coordinate the development of initiatives that support those interests
- annually to review and assess the effectiveness of the MoU and present their annual report
For information on the MoU and the GMC Task Group:
Public Transportation and Climate Leadership
3rd floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.