Table of contents

Key information

Evacuation and financial supports

  • Telephone town halls

  • Evacuation payments – how to apply

    Alberta residents who had to leave their home because of mandatory wildfire evacuation orders may be eligible for a one-time evacuation payment to help with accommodations, food and other necessities.

    Eligible families will receive:

    • $1,250 for each adult
    • $500 for each dependent under the age of 18


    You may qualify for the evacuation payment if you:

    • had to leave your primary residence home for 7 days or more due to an evacuation order.
      • secondary residences and recreational properties are not eligible
    • are 18 years or older (payments are also available for dependants)

    See the Emergency evacuation payments - eligible communities section for a list of communities with an Evacuation Order in place for at least 7 days.

    How to apply

    Apply online using your account.

    • Apply for yourself and your children or other dependents.

    Step 1. Create an account if you don't have one

    Step 2. Apply

    • Apply online after you have been out of your home for 7 days or more due to an evacuation order using your account.
    • To receive money by e-transfer, you must start the verification process or have a verified account. You don't need to wait for your activation code in the mail before applying.
    • If you cannot access the verified account process or receive an e-transfer, call 310-4455 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or visit your local Alberta Supports Centre.

    How it works

    • Evacuees can apply for an evacuation payment only once during the same event.
    • Applications will be open for 30 days after a specific community’s evacuation order ends
    • Payments will be sent to eligible recipients through e-transfer and can take up to 24 hours. Alternate payment arrangements may take longer.
    • If you are unable to receive an e-transfer, Debit cards are available at Alberta Supports Centre locations that have extended hours.
    • Emergency evacuation payments are in addition to any insurance coverage and will not affect the coverage you receive through your insurance. 
    • Emergency evacuation payments are non-taxable, do not need to be repaid, and will not impact benefit amounts for people who receive AISH or Income Support benefits.

    Get help

    For questions or assistance with your online application:

    Wildfire information line

    • Call: 310-4455 
    • Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

    Alberta Supports Contact Centre

    • Call toll free: 1-877-644-9992
    • Hours: 
      • Monday to Friday - 7:30 am to 8 pm
      • Weekends until the end of May - 9 am to 4 pm
    • In-person: Visit an Alberta Supports Centre (hours vary by location)

    Last updated: May 24 at 1 pm

  • Evacuation payments – eligible communities

    The following communities have had evacuation orders in place for at least 7 days:

    • Big Lakes County evacuation areas
    • Brazeau County evacuation areas including Drayton Valley and Brazeau Dam
    • County of Grande Prairie evacuation areas
    • Dene Tha' First Nation (Chateh)
    • East Prairie Metis Settlement
    • Entwistle
    • Evansburg
    • Hansonville
    • Lac Ste. Anne County evacuation areas including Lessard Lake Estates and Cherhill
    • Little Red River Cree Nation/Fox Lake
    • Lobstick
    • MD of Greenview evacuation areas including Fox Creek, Sturgeon Lake and South Grovedale
    • MD of Opportunity evacuation areas including Chipewyan Lake
    • O’Chiese First Nation evacuation areas
    • Peavine Metis Settlement
    • Saddle Hills County evacuation areas
    • Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation
    • Swan Hills
    • Whitefish Lake First Nation #459 including the communities of Whitefish River and Atikameg
    • Wildwood
    • Yellowhead County - Shining Bank

    Last updated: May 22 at 9:45 am

  • Emergency financial assistance

    You may be eligible to apply for emergency financial assistance to help with unexpected emergencies if you can’t access other resources or wait until your next pay-cheque or government benefit cheque.

    How to apply


    • Evacuees who have a disability, medical condition or other family needs and are unable to stay in an evacuation centre can request emergency financial assistance to cover hotel accommodations.
    • People normally covered by Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada may be issued benefits if these individuals are unable to access federal supports and services.
    • Income Support clients who are evacuated will be issued an emergency core essential benefit.
    • AISH clients who are evacuated will be issued AISH emergency food benefits.
      • The AISH program provides emergency benefits to assist people with costs for essential needs like accommodation, food, medical costs, clothing and transportation.
      • If you receive AISH and you need additional support, call your AISH worker or 310-4455 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

    How it works

    • Albertans in need of emergency financial benefits may qualify for assistance with:
      • Accommodation (actual cost)
      • Food
      • Clothing
      • Transportation - may be issued if an evacuee needs to get to evacuation site, family, another place of safety
      • Health benefits - prescriptions, medical supplies, optical, dental may be issued as needed
    • Albertans who go to an Alberta Supports Centre or call the Income Support Contact Centre will be asked to connect with their local reception centre to register and access services.
    • Staff may authorize a hotel if the reception centre does not provide temporary housing or if you cannot stay at the reception centre due to medical issues, family composition, or disability.
      • Staff working at a reception centre would facilitate hotel stays through the Income Support Contact Centre.

    Last updated: May 17 at 2:30 pm

  • Insurance information

    • Contact your insurance representative if you have questions about your insurance coverage during the wildfires.
    • The Insurance Bureau of Canada has updated information about insurance during wildfires. Albertans affected by wildfires can visit their web page for information on property and auto insurance.
    • Albertans can call the Insurance Bureau of Canada Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) or email IBC’s regional office at [email protected] (Western and Pacific regions).

    Last updated: May 12 at 7 pm

Communities under evacuation order or alert

Evacuation Order: Evacuate now, the situation is dangerous.

Evacuation Alert: Be prepared to evacuate quickly if situation worsens.

Evacuees should register online or at your local reception centre.

Other supports and services

  • Agriculture and livestock supports

    • Evacuated farmers and ranchers:
      • can contact the wildfire resource line at 310-4455 with agriculture and livestock related questions
      • should register at the reception centre identified for their community so staff can quickly assist them and connect them with the resources they need
      • should check with their municipality before entering any evacuated area to check on livestock
    • Agricultural societies and auction markets may have room for livestock evacuated from wildfire areas, and may be able to help connect livestock owners with transport. Contact:
    • Several partner agriculture organizations may have additional resources available for impacted livestock, including transport and access to feed.
    • Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) is monitoring the situation and assessing deadlines and will continue to support clients with their regular suite of business risk management, lending and insurance programs. Farmers with questions should:
    • Livestock producers can call 310-LAND (5263) to be connected with a local agrologist to discuss grazing options during this emergency situation. They are accepting applications for temporary grazing on vacant public lands.

    Last updated: May 15 at noon

  • Pet welfare

    • If you have left a pet behind in an evacuated area and need someone to check on it, contact the Alberta SPCA at 1-800-455-9003.
    • If you have questions about your pet, call 310-4455, or check with the reception centre identified for your community. Staff can assist and connect you with the appropriate resources.

    Last updated: May 11 at 8:30 pm

  • Replace ID cards

    Evacuees can replace lost or left-behind Alberta driver’s licences, ID cards or birth certificates free of charge until June 29, 2023.

    Driver's licence and ID cards

    • Visit a registry agent. Find a location near you
    • Registry agents will validate your identity and evacuation status.
    • Your replacement card will arrive within 5 business days to the registry agent location where you applied or to an alternate mailing address in Alberta.

    Birth certificates

    • Visit a registry agent. Find a location near you
    • Bring another form of ID with you or someone who you have known for more than one year who can vouch for your identity.
    • Registry agents will validate your identity and evacuation status.
    • Your replacement card will arrive within 2 to 3 business days to the registry agent location where you applied or to an alternate mailing address in Alberta.

    Find a registry agent near you

    Phone: 310-4455
    Find a registry agent online

    Learn more about replacing Alberta ID (PDF, 61 KB)

    Last updated: May 12 at 2 pm

  • Health supports

    Health advice

    Mental health support

    • If you’re feeling stressed, overwhelmed or need to talk, call the mental health helpline at 1-877-303-2642.
    • To access digital supports or find local services near you, call or text INFO to 211, or visit
    • Virtual counselling services are available through Counselling Alberta by calling 1-833-827-4230 or at
    • Indigenous people living in the North Zone can call the Indigenous Support line at 1-844-944-4744 from noon to 8 pm, Monday to Friday.

    Medication and medical supplies

    • For health advice or information on health services, including prescription refills, call Health Link at 811 or 1-866-408-5465 or visit your nearest pharmacy for assistance.
    • Pharmacies across Alberta are ready to assist evacuated Albertans who do not have their required medication or don’t have enough medication.
      • Go to the nearest pharmacy and explain your situation to the pharmacist.
      • They will assess your health care needs and consult with your regular pharmacist and health care provider, when possible, to confirm your prescription.
    • Albertans using the Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL) program who may not have their required medical equipment and supplies can get a replacement.
      • Clients who lost their identification can contact an AADL authorizer or vendor with their name, address, date of birth, personal health number or any other information they can provide along with a description of what AADL-approved medical equipment and/or supplies were lost or damaged. 

    Health cards

    • Replacement Health Care Insurance Cards are available at no cost. Phone 780-427-1432 (for toll free, dial 310-0000 first). Your Alberta Personal Health Card can be mailed to a temporary address.

    Last updated: May 16 at 10:30 am

  • Canada Post

    For up-to-date information on mail and parcel delivery for affected communities:

  • Diploma exams

    • Students evacuated due to wildfires will be automatically exempted from writing diploma exams if they have been displaced from school for 10 or more school days. 
      • A student's school mark will count for 100% of their official mark.
    • Students and parents who do not want the exemption can contact their schools to write their June diploma exams in a different location, or to arrange to write their exams in August.

    Last updated: May 16 at 3:30 pm

  • Crime prevention

    Alberta RCMP are patrolling and monitoring evacuated communities, using a variety of tools and resources to minimize crime in affected areas. The RAVE Alert mass notification system will keep Albertans updated and informed of these activities.

    Albertans are encouraged to sign up for the RCMP’s RAVE Alert notification system to stay up to date on wildfire crime prevention tips and proactive police activities.

    Learn about precautions you can take to help law enforcement safeguard your property and belongings during an evacuation. 

    You can also call Crimestoppers to provide anonymous tips: 1-800-222-8477

    Last updated: May 16 at 8:15 am

  • Unfair business practices and scams

    Unfair business practices

    It’s not uncommon for reports of price gouging to occur during and after emergencies.

    If the price you pay grossly exceeds that of similar goods or services that are readily available, and a business fails to inform you why they are charging more than their competitors, that may qualify as an unfair practice.

    To report suspected unfair business practices, including price gouging:


    Scammers and fraudsters will often try to take advantage of people during and after emergencies. Be particularly aware of scams from text, email or telephone that seek your personal or financial information.

    We will never send you unsolicited emails, text messages or call you by phone asking for your personal information.

    If you see something suspicious or think you've been the target of a scam, report it to your local police or to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online.

    Last updated: May 17 at 1:30 pm

  • Maintenance Enforcement Program payments

    Contact the Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) if you need help with your payments because of wildfires.

    Last updated: May 12 at 11 am

  • Elections Alberta

    Visit for up-to-date information on voting locations impacted by wildfire.

    Last updated May 22 at 10:30am

  • Landlords and tenants

    Learn more about what you need to do as a tenant or landlord returning after a wildfire evacuation.

Advisories and closures

  • Air quality advisories

    A special air quality statement has been issued for parts of the province as high levels of smoke and ash residue continue. Additional mobile air quality monitoring units have been deployed.

    • Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) helps you understand what the air quality around you means to your health using a scale from 1 to 10+. The lower the number, the lower the risk.
    • Special air quality statements cover special events like wildfires that are not covered by the Air Quality Health Index, including air quality pollutants, odours and visibility.
    • lets you see how fire smoke is forecasted to impact your area over the coming days.
    • Wildfire Smoke and Your Health offers advise and recommendations about how to protect yourself during exposure to smoke caused by wildfires.

    Resource: Alberta Health – Wildfires and air quality daily update (May 29)

    Last updated: May 29 at 12:30 pm

  • Boil water advisories

    There are no Boil Water Orders currently in place. 

    Last updated: May 24 at 2 pm

  • Court closures

    Alberta Courts are relocating sittings in communities affected by wildfires to other locations or online. For the latest updates and schedules visit:

    Last updated: May 9 at 4:30 pm

  • Fire ban and OHV restrictions

    Fire bans

    • Fire restrictions and bans are in place across much of the province.
    • Fire bans in some areas have changed to restrictions. Visit for details. 

    OHV restrictions

    • The recreational use of off-highway vehicles is now allowed on public lands in many areas of the province. 
    • Use is still prohibited on public lands in high-risk areas, including on designated OHV trails, in: 
      • the most northern part of the province
      • Yellowhead County
      • parts of Brazeau County 
    • Visit for details.

    Last updated: May 26 at 10 am

  • Hospital closures

    Drayton Valley Hospital

    • The emergency department, pharmacy, diagnostic imaging and laboratory areas are open.
    • Dialysis, addiction and mental health, and community immunization services have resumed.
    • Community Cancer Centre services have resumed.
    • EMS is available 24/7 in town by calling 911.

    East Prairie Community Health Services

    • Outpatient clinic has been evacuated and remains closed.

    Edson Healthcare Centre

    • Emergency department, home care, public health, and dialysis have re-opened.
    • Acute care and maternity services have resumed.

    Fox Creek Health Centre

    • Emergency department, Laboratory and diagnostic imaging (DI) appointments and walk-in services have resumed.
    • All other services remain closed.

    High Prairie Health Complex

    • Emergency department, laboratory and diagnostic imaging appointments, walk-in x-ray services, and partial dialysis have re-opened.
    • Limited acute care services have resumed.
    • Outpatient clinic has resumed booking appointments.
    • The Community Health and Wellness Clinic has re-opened. Any pre-booked appointments at the clinic will continue as planned and walk-ins have resumed.
    • Planning continues for restoration of other services.

    Rainbow Lake Community Health Centre

    • Outpatient clinic has been evacuated and remains closed.

    Sacred Heart Community Health Centre (McLennan)

    • Some patients/clients have been voluntarily evacuated as a precaution, but the health centre remains open.

    Manoir Du Lac Continuing Care Facility (McLennan)

    • Some residents have been voluntarily evacuated as a precaution, but the facility remains open.

    Swan Hills Healthcare Centre

    • Emergency department has re-opened.
    • All additional services remain closed.
    • EMS (9-1-1) is available to the community and will transport patients to nearby facilities as needed.

    Valleyview Health Centre

    • Emergency department, diagnostic imaging, walk-in x-ray, lab and outpatient clinics have re-opened.
    • Acute care services and Inpatient admissions have resumed.
    • Remaining services are closed.

    EMS and affected zones continue to be fully engaged to ensure safe transport and care of all patients and residents. Other zones and provincial programs are assisting with reception centres and ensuring availability of spaces and equipment as needed.

    Visit for more information.

    Last updated: May 26 at 2:45 pm

  • Park closures and public land voluntary restriction

    Public land voluntary restriction 

    Albertans are asked to restrict recreation activities on public land in Northwest Alberta due to wildfire risk.

    Outdoor recreation activities such as backcountry camping, mountain biking and hiking in the following affected forest areas is not recommended:

    • Edson
    • Grand Prairie
    • High Level
    • Peace River
    • Slave Lake
    • Whitecourt
    • Rocky Mountain House Forest Area north of Highway 11

    See a map of the public land voluntary restriction area (JPG, 2.3 MB).

    Provincial park and recreation area closures

    See a map of all active provincial parks and protected area closures.

    Last updated: May 24 at 2:15 pm

  • Travel advisories

    • Visit for up-to-date information on road closures and travel advisories.

    Last updated: May 29 at 12:30 pm

Re-entry info

Determining when it's safe to return home after an evacuation order depends on several factors, including hazard conditions in your area and the guidance of local authorities.

  • Communities eligible for re-entry

    Residents have been approved to re-enter the following communities:

    Big Lakes County

    Drayton Valley and Brazeau County

    County of Grande Prairie

    MD of Greenview (Fox Creek, Little Smoky and area)

    MD of Lesser Slave River (Smith area)

    Peavine Métis Settlement

    Swan Hills

    Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation (Areas 1, 2 and 3 only)

    Yellowhead County (Shiningbank area)

    Last updated: May 28 at 12:45 pm

  • Step 1. Await official clearance

    • Do not attempt to return home until you receive official confirmation that the evacuation order has been lifted.
    • Stay tuned to local news sources, emergency alerts, official announcements and social media accounts for updates from local authorities. They will provide information on when it is safe to return.
  • Step 2. Follow designated re-entry instructions

    • Authorities may provide specific instructions for the re-entry process, pay close attention and follow them accordingly. This could include designated entry points, specific routes to follow, or assigned timeframes for different areas or neighbourhoods. 
    • Assess whether essential infrastructure, such as roads, bridges and utilities, are functional in your area.
    • Authorities will provide information on any damage or hazards that might hinder your return.

    Additional resources

  • Step 3. Conduct safety assessments

    • Once you are allowed to re-enter, assess the safety of your surroundings before proceeding further.
    • Check for any visible hazards such as downed power lines, damaged structures or blocked roads.
    • If you notice any immediate dangers, report them to the appropriate authorities and avoid the area.
  • Step 4. Be cautious and alert

    • During the re-entry process, remain vigilant and exercise caution.
    • Be mindful of any ongoing emergency response activities or cleanup operations.
    • Follow the instructions of emergency personnel and local authorities.
  • Step 5. Check utilities and services

    • After re-entering your home, check the status of utilities such as electricity, water and gas. If you notice any irregularities or damages, contact your utility companies and avoid using or touching any compromised systems.
  • Step 6. Assess property damage

    • Survey your property for any damages caused by the hazard, such as fire, flooding, or other impacts.
    • Take photographs or videos of any significant damage as evidence for insurance claims, if necessary.
  • Step 7. Contact authorities if needed

    • Contact local authorities or emergency services for support if you need help or encounter hazards or safety concerns during the re-entry process.
    • The re-entry process can differ based on the specific circumstances of the evacuation and the guidance provided by local authorities.
    • Always prioritize your safety and follow the instructions and recommendations given by the appropriate officials during the re-entry process.

How to help

  • Canadian Red Cross donation matching

    The Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta will each match every dollar donated to the Canadian Red Cross 2023 Alberta Fires Appeal. This means that every $1 donated will become $3 to support those affected by the wildfires.

    Donated funds will be used for immediate and ongoing relief and recovery efforts in response to the wildfires.

    To make a donation to the 2023 Alberta Fires Appeal:

    Last updated: May 11 at 2:15 pm

  • Other offers and donations

    Thank you for your interest in supporting the wildfire response efforts.

    Individuals and companies with goods or services to offer or donate to support government's response to the wildfire event can email: [email protected]

    Last updated: May 11 at 2:15 pm

Situation updates

Watch the daily wildfire updates to hear from officials. Read and subscribe to the daily situation update news releases to get a summary of the actions government is taking to respond to the emergency.

View all news releases | Watch all news conferences

Emergency alerts

Alberta Emergency Alerts provide critical information about an immediate disaster, where it is occuring, and what action you need to take.

Find active alerts and download the app

Wildfire conditions and response

  • Wildfire conditions

    • A provincial state of emergency remains in effect due to numerous wildfires - check out wildfire status to see active wildfires, wildfires of note and the latest forest area updates.
    • Information on all wildfires is on the Alberta Wildfire dashboard and the Alberta Wildfire app.

    Last updated: May 27

  • States of local emergency

    Declared states of local emergency can enable special emergency plans and other organizational mechanisms that support an emergency response. Local authorities may declare a State of Local Emergency in order to respond to an incident. 

    The following communities are currently under a State of Local Emergency:

    1. Brazeau County
    2. East Prairie Metis Settlement
    3. Fairview (Town)
    4. Fairview (M.D.)
    5. Fox Creek
    6. Greenview (M.D.)
    7. High Prairie
    8. Lac Ste Ann County
    9. Lesser Slave River (M.D.)
    10. Northern Sunrise County
    11. Opportunity (M.D.)
    12. Peavine Metis Settlement
    13. Rainbow Lake
    14. Swan Hills
    15. Yellowhead County

    Last updated: May 29

  • Band council resolutions

    Band council resolutions have the same function for a First Nation as states of local emergency do for municipalities. Band council resolutions are written resolutions or authorizing documents of Chief and Council adopted by the elected officials for a First Nation.

    The following communities have established band council resolutions:

    1. Dene Tha' First Nation
    2. Little Red River Cree Nation (Fox Lake) 
    3. Sturgeon Lake Cree First Nation

    Last updated: May 26

  • Emergency coordination centres

    An Emergency Coordination Centre is the physical location at which the coordination of information and resources to support incident management (on-scene operations) activities normally takes place.

    The following communities have established emergency coordination centres:

    1. Beaver First Nation
    2. Big Lakes County
    3. Brazeau County
    4. Dene Tha’ First Nation
    5. Fox Creek
    6. Grande Prairie (County)
    7. Little Red River Cree Nation (Fox Lake)
    8. Northern Sunrise County
    9. Parkland County
    10. Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
    11. Sturgeon Lake Cree First Nation
    12. Valleyview
    13. Whitefish Lake First Nation

    Last updated: May 27

  • Incident command posts

    An Incident Command Post is the field location where the primary functions are performed. The Incident Command Post may be co-located with the incident base or other incident facilities.

    The following communities have established incident command posts:

    1. Brazeau County
    2. Dene Tha’ First Nation (Chateh)
    3. Drayton Valley
    4. East Prairie Metis Settlement
    5. Fox Creek
    6. Gift Lake Metis Settlement
    7. Grande Prairie (County)
    8. Greenview (M.D.)
    9. High Prairie
    10. Kapawe’no First Nation
    11. Opportunity (M.D.)
    12. Peavine Metis Settlement
    13. Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
    14. Sturgeon Lake Cree First Nation
    15. Woodlands County
    16. Yellowhead County

    Last updated: May 25

Be prepared

Learn how you and your family can prepare yourselves for an emergency or disaster.
Learn about wildfires and what you can do to protect yourself and others.
Learn what to do in case you need to evacuate due to an emergency.


Important numbers

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on