Eligible working Albertans can receive a one-time emergency isolation support payment of $1,146 if they are required to self-isolate or are the sole caregiver of someone in self-isolation and they have no other source of pay or compensation.
This is a temporary program to bridge the gap until the Federal Emergency Care Benefit is available in April.
If you are eligible for federal Employment Insurance benefits, you are strongly encouraged to apply immediately.
You are eligible for the emergency isolation support program if you:
- have experienced total or significant loss of income and are not receiving compensation from any other source because you:
- have been diagnosed with COVID-19
- have been directed by health authorities to self-isolate
- are the sole caregiver of a dependent who is in self-isolation
You are not eligible for this program if you:
- were not working immediately before you were advised to self-isolate
- can work from home
- are not experiencing a significant loss of income as a result of self-isolation
- are currently collecting other forms of income support or employer benefits while self-isolated, such as:
- workplace sick leave benefits
- federal employment insurance (EI) benefits
- are staying home to care for a dependent who is home for a reason other than self-isolation
- reside outside of Alberta
If you are not eligible for this program, other supports are available.
How to apply
We need to periodically remove the online access to the system in order to manage the flow of applications. We will make it available as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
- Complete the initial online eligibility assessment. If you meet the general eligibility criteria, you will be able to continue through the application.
- You will then be required to sign in to or create a MyAlberta Digital ID (MADI) account to complete the application.
- If you already have a verified MADI account, you’ll progress to the next sections of the application.
- If you don’t have a verified MADI account, you can sign up during the application process using your Alberta driver’s licence or ID card number to confirm your identify.
- Complete the ID verification process on the same device on which you began – do not switch from computer to mobile.
- To confirm your ID from a computer, enter the ID manually, do not use the mobile QR code option.
- Once you confirm your identity, you’ll receive a notification that you will receive an activation code in the mail – you do not need to wait for the mailed verification code to complete your application for the Emergency Isolation Supports.
- After you confirm your ID, you will see a button to Sign In. Click the button to return to the Emergency Isolation Support application so you can proceed.
- If you don’t see the button, please launch the assessment again by following the link from this page. Once you sign in with your new MADI account, you will be able to complete the application.
If you need help completing your application, call Alberta Connects at 310-4455, open 7 days a week from 8 am to 8 pm. Please be patient as call volumes may be high.
After you apply
After submitting an application you will receive an email confirmation with a reference number for future interactions.
If your application is approved, you will receive a one-time payment of $1,146 through Interac e-Transfer within 24 to 48 hours.
Other available benefits
If you are not eligible for the emergency isolation support payment, other programs are available:
- Employment Insurance – the one-week waiting period has been waived for people in self-isolation
- Utility payment deferral
- Student loans repayment deferral
- Deferrals on ATB lines of credit and mortgages for up to 6 months
- Deferrals on 2019 tax returns until June 1, 2020
See list of available provincial and federal programs.