If you are facing an unexpected emergency, you can apply for emergency financial assistance.
You can get help when:
- a situation is caused by unforeseeable circumstances beyond your control, and
- it presents a severe health risk, and
- you cannot access other resources or wait until your next pay-cheque or Income Support benefit cheque.
This allowance can cover costs for:
- child care*
- damage deposit*
- temporary shelter
- utility arrears*
- you must repay this money if you need help with utility arrears more than once
- eviction payments*
- you must repay this money if you need help with eviction payments more than once
Emergency Needs Allowance rates are published on page two of the Financial Benefits Summary (PDF, 228 KB).
Costs that may be covered, but must be repaid include:
- essential home repairs*
- essential appliance repairs*
*If you require these emergency benefits, please call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992 to request an assessment.
Proof of need
You must provide proof of need, such as:
- an arrears statement or eviction notice
- a utility bill or statement for utility arrears
- proof from a reliable source that the item is essential, like an unsafe wiring notice from the fire department
You can apply for the Emergency Needs Allowance if:
- you are a current Income Support client, or
- you are an Albertan earning an income, but you do not have enough money to cover this one-time, short-term emergency that will last no longer than a month, and
- you meet the Income Support program eligibility requirements
How to apply
During regular business hours
If you are currently receiving Income Support or AISH benefits, contact your caseworker. If you do not know how to reach your caseworker, contact your local Alberta Supports Centre, otherwise, call the Income Support Contact Centre at 1-866-644-5135 to request an assessment.
Note: the Income Support Contact Centre can only issue select emergency benefits including food, medication, temporary shelter, transportation and emergency basic dental services. For all other emergency benefits, call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992, 7:30 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays. Email: [email protected].
Outside of regular business hours
If you are facing an emergent need for food, medication, temporary shelter or emergency basic dental services, call the Income Support Contact Centre (available 24/7) toll free at 1-866-644-5135 for an assessment.
Email: [email protected] (responses may take 1 to 3 business days)
You can now apply online to the Income Support Contact Centre to receive emergency food benefits via Interac e-Transfer. Apply at MyAlberta Emergency Benefits to start the online application process.
Once you have completed your application, you will be asked to call the Income Support Contact Centre to confirm your eligibility.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.