- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Rules of the road
In construction zones, follow the posted speed.
When passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks that are stopped with their lights flashing, slow to 60km/h (or less if the posted speed is lower). This law applied to the lane(s) immediately next to the stopped vehicle.
Speed fines are doubled when workers or emergency responders are present.
|Speed||Demerit points||Regular fine||Doubled fine|
|1–15 km over||2||$81–$126||$163–$252|
|16–30 km over||3||$146–$249||$292–$499|
|31–50 km over||4||$264–$495||$528–$991|
|Over 51 km over||6||Mandatory Court appearance.
Fines are at the discretion of the Court.
- Construction or maintenance zones will have roadway signs in advance to warn motorists that road work is being done. Even if there are no signs, your fine could be doubled if workers are present.
- Flashing lights from emergency response vehicles will warn you of a problem ahead.
- When approaching an emergency or a construction/maintenance situation, use caution and slow down.
- Always be aware that vehicles ahead of you may stop suddenly.
- Obey directions by flag people or emergency workers.
- Avoid watching the emergency and keep focused on driving.
- Always leave plenty of space between your vehicle and other people and equipment parked or being operated at these locations.
Visit 511 Alberta for up-to-date road information, including traffic delays and road construction.