Visiting or exchange students from another province or country who wish to complete a course for credit must register with the appropriate school authority.

Statement of Achievement

Any formal statement of academic achievement required by the school of origin would be issued by Alberta Education in the form of the Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement and would reflect only the courses the student actually completed in an Alberta school.

Diploma Examinations

Visiting or exchange students seeking Alberta high school credits in a diploma examination course must write a diploma examination on the same terms as any Alberta student.

Visiting or exchange students may not write diploma examinations in any language other than English or French. The English Language Arts 30-1 and English Language Arts 30-2 diploma examinations must be written in English. The Français 30-1 and French Language Arts 30-1 diploma examinations must be written in French. The diploma examinations in Social Studies 30-1, Social Studies 30-2, Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 30-2, Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30 and Science 30 may be written in either English or French.

For more information about the writing of diploma examinations, see the General Information Bulletin: Diploma Examinations Program.

For information regarding fees, see Eligibility to Write in the Student Assessment in Senior High School section.

International education and study permits

Contact International Education Services for information about international students, exchange programs, international partnerships and other international education initiatives.

In order to capture the composition of the international student body coming into the province, and to inform related strategic planning and direction for international education, school authorities enter the country of citizenship for visiting and exchange students from outside of Canada as part of PASI system enrolment.

For information on study permits and the application process, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Last updated: August 26, 2022